Is It Worth Your Money? | Teen Ink

Is It Worth Your Money?

By AryaMaz BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
AryaMaz BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

"Ogres are like onions, we have many layers" - Shrek

With many people aweing at its glory, the iPhone X is approaching release. It has earned a lot of hype since the initial announcement all the way back from when the iPhone 7 was released in September 2016. However, is it worth it? Will the iPhone X be as astonishing as people think it will be? That’s a simple question with a complex answer.

The iPhone X, as every yearly iPhone release, has many features better than the rest. The short quote, “It’s all screen.” (Apple) is no lie. The screen covers almost the entire front of the phone and curves onto the sides. Instead of the usual 16:9 aspect ratio, its 18:9 holding first place for the most screen space on an iPhone. Also, it comes with Gorilla Glass 5, which is the toughest glass currently on the market adding on to its strong core and structure. Another interesting feature of the iPhone X is that there is no home button. Instead, it’s built into the screen resulting in even more screen space. However, the most wonderful feature of the screen is that it has an OLED display. On OLED displays, there are true blacks meaning if you get the phone in black, you can’t tell the screen from the phone because of how true the color is. As magnificent as the screen is, there are many more features that come to this new iPhone.

Another revolutionary advancement to the phone is the all-glass design. You may think to yourself, “Wait, isn’t this more fragile than the aluminum back?” and you aren’t wrong for asking that question. However, the glass is made of Gorilla Glass 5, the strongest glass on the market. This glass back, appearing on the iPhone 8 as well, seems to hold up even stronger than the iPhone 7’s aluminum shell. Also, having a glass body with no electric conductivity opens to gateway to wireless charging. There are many wireless charging stations on the market that is compatible with the iPhone X and even the iPhone 8 as well. Apple is also planning on coming out with a wireless charging station of their own, the AirPower mat. The AirPower mat is a small pad that you can place up to 3 Apple products compatible with wireless charging. Without a glass back, this would not be possible. This is also possible thanks to the new and improved A11 Bionic processor. In the processor, there are 4 billion transistors, 6 cores, and 70% more and faster processing power in comparison to the 3.3 billion transistors, 4 cores, and about two-thirds of the processing power coming from the A10 chip found in the iPhone 7. The A11 Bionic chip is truly the most advanced smartphone processor considering its capability of 600 billion operations a second. And get this; all of this is happening in a tiny little piece of metal that is approximately an inch wide. The power of Apple is very strong and intelligently used.

With a new phone comes a new GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). The GPU creates the graphics and image on your display. It turns the view into a fast and smooth experience making gaming, watching videos, and doing virtually anything a smoother experience. The iPhone X’s GPU is 30% faster than the iPhone 7’s. However, the GPU’s other job is to sharpen the quality of the screen. You can fit about 9 displays of the original iPhone into the one on the iPhone X. Now that’s the improvement we need in an iPhone.

As well as this phone may seem, there are definitely some downsides; some even to alter your decision of buying the phone in the first place. To start things off, the lowest pricing of the phone, buying it with 64 GB of storage, is a totally affordable $999.99 USD. Also, aside from the new camera design and features, the camera quality itself is no better than the iPhone 7 or 8. Since the home button is built behind the screen, that means no more Touch ID for anyone who is used to using it to unlock their iPhone.

Of course, nobody is forced to have the newest phone as many people have the iPhone 5 or 6 or even more dated phones and have no problem with them. To some, the positives outweigh the negatives or vice versa. My opinion on this phone: if you have the money then it is definitely worth it. However, if you cannot afford it or don’t want to spend that much money, then the iPhone 7 or 8 are great choices. As the upcoming release date of November 3, 2017 approaches fast, many people sit in patience for the phone’s release. To some, it’s worth it for every penny. For some, it is a huge rip off. For some, its pretty good but not worth the money. Considering it has the same camera resolution as the iPhone 7 but the processing speed of a MacBook air, this phone is a complete beast that comes with a hefty price. It’s up to the consumer whether they need this product in their life. It may be expensive, but it definitely is not a necessity. It’s up to you whether this phone is worth it or not. Go ahead, the choice is yours.

I like to analyze things before I buy them. I took a deep look into the iPhone X and determined whether it is worth the money to get it over the iPhone 8 or 7.