Loch Coffee Shop Review | Teen Ink

Loch Coffee Shop Review

January 23, 2017
By johnsonae1 BRONZE, Midland, Michigan
johnsonae1 BRONZE, Midland, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I first glanced at this new coffee shop, I thought it was a really cute building and was in a good location. It was off the main Saginaw Road, which wasn’t hard to find and was secluded from any distracting noises. I heard the uproar about the new coffee shop, so, me being a coffee lover, decided to try it out.  While I took my first steps into the shop,  I was very pleased and excited to try out the coffee. The worker greeted me as I searched the menu for my perfect coffee. The Loch Coffee shop had a very nice, versatile environment, although the coffee wouldn’t be my first choice.


The Loch Coffee Shop has a soothing and comfortable environment that allows people to either work on their laptops or talk with friends. The music that was played added to the mood; it was chill and calming, which made the environment seem less tense and awkward. In the main room, all of the customers were sitting on their laptops working. There was a separate room that went out from the main shop, which glowed from both the lamp lighting, the people chatting, and the haven of couches.This made the environment very diverse and allowed people of all intentions to be able to come to this coffee shop. The appearance of the coffee shop was very modern and industrial, with their rustic metal and light wood tables and chairs. The menus were handwritten in chalk, and everything was very simple, yet unique. Overall, the environment was very aesthetically pleasing and is very diverse for all of people's different intentions they want when looking for a calm place to work or hangout.
Although the environment was very nice, the coffee wouldn't be my first choice. The coffee didn’t taste much different than a cheap, homemade Keurig coffee.  Additionally, the price tag did not match. The price was very expensive for a new and upcoming coffee shop. It was more expensive than the mainstream Starbucks Coffee, which was surprising for their new brand. I ordered a mocha, which was made right in front of me. However, after sipping, the mocha that was added to the coffee made the drink very chalky and gritty. The chalkiness grew worse as you reached the bottom of the cup. I would recommend trying a simple coffee, to get the smooth and strong coffee flavor to avoid the grittiness of the flavorings. Even after this first cup, I am still open to go back and try a new drink because what turned me off the most was the grittiness of the mocha flavoring.


All in all, the coffee wasn’t anything more than average, although I may have ordered the wrong thing. The environment was very usable for many different options, such as working or hanging out. Although, the coffee wasn’t the best compared to other coffee shops. The Loch Coffee Shop is perfect if you are looking for a nice calm and quiet environment.