The Douglas J Aveda Institute: The Luscious Learning Salon | Teen Ink

The Douglas J Aveda Institute: The Luscious Learning Salon

By shenriksen19 BRONZE, River Forest, Illinois
shenriksen19 BRONZE, River Forest, Illinois

When I walked into this large salon, the first thing I noticed was the energy bouncing off the walls due to the many rows of hairdressers working with their customers. The Aveda Institute is where upcoming beauty professionals complete a one-year training program learning what it is like to work in a beauty salon. Men, women and children all come in for basic beauty services including haircuts and eyebrow waxing. These services are done professionally for a third of the price of other salons, using high-end Aveda products.

I do not know what was better, the enthusiastic service at the desk when you check in or that they offer you hot tea, coffee or water as you wait. I came in to get a long-overdue haircut and waited as the aroma of the herb-infused Aveda products filled the room and created a calm ambience. The wait was no longer than five minutes, and my hairdresser, Stephanie, arrived with a large smile and introduced herself. She then led me to her station and examined my hair as I told her what I wanted done. Attentively she listened to my wishes and included some professional tips to get the best overall haircut. When we finished discussing my haircut, she brought over a beauty consultant to sign off. I forgot we were in a teaching environment since everything felt so professional. As the haircut went on, my stylist was so sociable I felt as if I was hanging out with a friend instead of getting a haircut. This is important because a haircut can easily become very boring and long if the only thing entertaining you is your reflection in the mirror.

Before I knew it, my stylist was blow drying my hair. The finished product looked like it cost $80 instead of only$16. She waved over the same beauty consultant to examine the finished cut to make sure everything was perfect. I liked that they did this even though the beauty students at the Institute are close to finished with their education, it is good to be assured that you are getting a first-rate haircut. All in all, the Douglas J Aveda Institute was a great experience for a simple haircut. The bright, lively atmosphere, the affordable, professional haircuts and the welcoming staff make this easily the best place anyone could go to get their hair cut. 

For those who live in the city of Chicago this is a great place to try out! There are also many institutes around the US that have the same concept. 

Henrikmd said...
on Oct. 3 2016 at 8:52 am
Nicely done Sammie!!