Wicked | Teen Ink

Wicked MAG

February 4, 2009
By Joseph Camolli BRONZE, Franklin Square, New York
Joseph Camolli BRONZE, Franklin Square, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Wicked” is a Broadway musical loosely based on Gregory Maguire’s book. The story bravely reimagines the Land of Oz created by Lyman Frank Baum, twisting what we know from the novel and classic movie.

“Wicked” chronicles the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West, whose name is Elphaba (an almost phonetic pronunciation of Baum’s initials, LFB), and her friendship with Glinda the Good. It starts as many stories do, at the beginning, or rather the end. Shortly after Elphaba’s melting, Glinda begins to spin the story of the not-quite-so-wicked witch. It starts with Elphaba’s birth and ends with her tragic demise at the hands of Dorothy.

The show contains no truly memorable musical numbers, except “Defying Gravity.” But even this song is remarkable not for its tune but because of its choreography.

If you have already read the novel, forget everything; there are few similarities. This musical pokes fun at everything from “Legally Blonde” to Soviet Russia, to America’s witch trials, to the presidency of Richard Nixon.

I would strongly recommend “Wicked” for the young at heart and others who are fans of the classic novel or Broadway in general. “Wicked” is fun, imaginative, unique, and entertaining. To put it simply, “Wicked” is wicked good fun.