Wicked This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Wicked” is a Broadway musical loosely based on Gregory Maguire’s book. The story bravely reimagines the Land of Oz created by Lyman Frank Baum, twisting what we know from the novel and classic movie.

“Wicked” chronicles the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West, whose name is Elphaba (an almost phonetic pronunciation of Baum’s initials, LFB), and her friendship with Glinda the Good. It starts as many stories do, at the beginning, or rather the end. Shortly after Elphaba’s melting, Glinda begins to spin the story of the not-quite-so-wicked witch. It starts with Elphaba’s birth and ends with her tragic demise at the hands of Dorothy.

The show contains no truly memorable musical numbers, except “Defying Gravity.” But even this song is remarkable not for its tune but because of its choreography.

If you have already read the novel, forget everything; there are few similarities. This musical pokes fun at everything from “Legally Blonde” to Soviet Russia, to America’s witch trials, to the presidency of Richard Nixon.

I would strongly recommend “Wicked” for the young at heart and others who are fans of the classic novel or Broadway in general. “Wicked” is fun, imaginative, unique, and entertaining. To put it simply, “Wicked” is wicked good fun.

tinytechie said...
Wow... no memorable musical numbers? THis is the best show of all time! Every number is fantastic! No one moursn the wicked, one short day, what is this feeling, as long as your mine, popular, no good deed, etc, are all amazing!!!!!!!!!

pinkietoeshoes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Just saying that every one is intittled to their opinion but in what case has the film or show has been as good as the book. I recently saw Wicked, it was the most memorable show. In the playbill it says that Wicked is based on the book, there is no way that they can put three/four books into one show. 

Mistermet91 said...
Jun. 4, 2009 at 1:35 am
Thank you for your comments and criticisms. I am the author of this review. I suggest you read the sequel to Wicked, Son of a Witch, and the newest book in the saga, A Lion Among Men.

I didn't care much for the musical. They cut far too much out. However, the musical adapatation of the novel will SUPPOSEDLY become a feature length film.

Raymond W. said...
Jun. 2, 2009 at 12:47 am
What? My favorite songs are loathing and popular. The show rocked and was better than the book.

kittykat123 said...
i read the book but a few parts i did not like and had to skip over.