Shattered | Teen Ink

Shattered

December 5, 2014
By Ginger123 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Ginger123 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
8 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you don't know where you're headed, you find places no one would ever think to explore.


“Shattered” by Jill Goldman is about a teenager who looses her best friend in a car crash.  Her best friend happens to be her grandmother.  The young writer talks about the five stages of grief:  Denial, Guilt, Anger, Depression, and Acceptance.  The way Jill describes how she dealt with her lose is very relatable.  Jill denies the fact that her grandmother is no longer a part of this world, and then she feels guilty about asking to go for ice cream, followed by the anger at everybody and every little thing.  When the Depression starts, Jill states how she “gave up and just stopped.” Acceptance seems to be the hardest stage because it means Jill finally realized there would be no more memories made with her best friend.  The article has detail that was written very well, and described each stage without sugarcoating it.  Jill is very strong and brave for writing and telling the world about the loss of her best friend and I admire her greatly for that.