"Storm Warnings" by Adrienne Rich

"Storm Warnings", by Adrienne Rich, is a poem about an oncoming storm. The narrator is reading and realizes a storm is approaching. She gets up to watch the storm from the window. Then, when the storm begins to get worse and move closer, she makes preparations to get ready for the storm. She closes the windows, shutters, and curtains. She also lights candles so it will not be dark. She also talks about how a person cannot stop a storm from coming, they can only prepare for it. I think this poem is not only talking about physical storms, but also emotional storms. The narrator could be referring to troubles in her life she has faced. The line "weather abroad and weather in the heart alike come on, regardless of prediction" sounds as if she might be having some personal struggles that she is dealing with. In the same way you cannot prevent storms from happening, you cannot keep yourself from having problems. You can only try to prepare for it the best you can and take precautions against it.