Pomo pizzaria | Teen Ink

Pomo pizzaria

May 6, 2014
By evnathomas BRONZE, Paradise Valley, Arizona
evnathomas BRONZE, Paradise Valley, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Welcome to Pomo Cucina and Pizzaria. When you first walk in the front door you are greeted by the hostesses to your left and with a view of the Forno Fabri market to your right. There is a wall dividing the restaurant from the market covered in olive oil, tasty Italian desserts, and an arrangement of plants that they use in the kitchen. As you follow the hostess to your table, directly in front of you use the centerpiece of the restaurant: a massive wood-burning oven that cooks pizzas in 90 seconds at 950 degrees Fahrenheit. Around the oven are the pizza chefs. They are constantly kneading and tossing dough making it into pizzas and placing them into the oven. You will then notice the open, contemporary seating and hopefully you will sit at one of the comfy booths that line two of the walls. If you sit at the pizza bar right by the oven you will have front row seats of the Napolitano pizza making process. Be careful; it is a splash zone for flour, but that only adds to the fun and Italian experience. There is also a patio outside that is nearly as big as the inside with heating lambs lining the roof. That is where my family and I sat on our visit. Our server, Tara, came over to us after a minute or so and took down our drink orders. After setting the drinks down we ordered appetizers. We started with bruschetta and sorrentino. Sorrentino is basically bruschetta, but with grape tomatoes cut in half instead of diced tomatoes and with Fior di Latte cheese. They were served a little over five minutes after we ordered them even though it was a busy Saturday night. The kitchen staff is speedy, but they unfortunately do not cooperate very well or work to please the customers’ requests, this is partly due to the language barrier. For example, if asked to cut the bruschetta in half or put half a salad in one bowl and half in another, they will not do it. It is up to the server or diner to do so. The portions of these appetizers were fairly small. Each order is two pieces of bread with the tomatoes and all, that is it. The salads on the other hand, are huge. I ordered a Romana Salad. It is basically a Caesar Salad, but I found it to be a little bland. Next time I would ask for chicken in it. Once our appetizers were set down our server took our pizza order. I ordered a Don Alfonso, my brother ordered a Diavola, my mother ordered Zuppe al Pomodoro (tomato soup), my dad ordered Zuppe al Funghi (mushroom soup), and the rest of my family ordered margherita pizzas. A Don Alfonso is a margherita pizza with salame rosata (pepperoni), red bell peppers, and Italian sausage. The pizzas there 100 percent replicate the Napoli style. They are extremely thin, but chewy rather than crispy. Some do not like that the middle is fairly soggy, but that is just because the dough is watery and anyways, the most flavorful bites are from the middle. The Don Alfonso was fantastic. Pomo makes easily the best pizzas in Scottsdale. I did not hear a single complaint from my family and we brought home all of our leftovers. You cannot dine at Pomo and not get a dessert. All you need to do is look at one of the beautiful pastries being carried to a table to be intrigued enough to purchase one. Without a doubt the Tiramisu here is the best in Arizona. It does cost a dollar more than the other desserts, but in my opinion it is flawless and well worth the money spent. I have eaten here several times and I’ve had the Tiramisu each time because there is no reason to fix what isn’t broken. The cost is a very important factor in a restaurant and unfortunately Pomo is on the pricier side. It makes up for that with its outstanding pizza, great open atmosphere, and friendly staff; the owner, Stefano comes in almost every night to talk to the regulars as well as occasionally introduces himself to anyone new. I would recommend Pomo to anyone and everyone who likes thin crust pizza, Italian food and atmosphere, and great overall food. Stay away if you like that soggy, thick, cheesy, Chicago style pizza, but for everyone else; it is five out of five stars.


The author's comments:
food