Video Games Are Art | Teen Ink

Video Games Are Art

January 27, 2014
By Jack_Bauer SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Jack_Bauer SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We do not have to be afraid of the dark they live in." -Burnie Burns


Carl S. argues that video games should be considered an art form, which is an opinion I agree with, in his article “Can Video Games Be Art?” Carl points out the world is changing and the art of today is not the same as the classical art of yesteryear. This does not mean video games should not be classified as an art form. Video games masterfully mix some qualities of classic art into a beautiful creation. I often spend my free time playing video games. My favorite video game I have ever played is Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Skyrim is one of the most visually stunning landscapes ever depicted by artists, and I do consider the world designers as artists. To accompany the enticing graphics, the awe-inspiring music puts the finishing touches onto the game to fully immerse the player in the game. Video games also have the unique ability to allow the players to interact with the environment in a variety of ways. To be able to do this, graphic designers have to comb over every inch of the world to make sure the game is perfect. I do acknowledge video games cannot be considered a classic art form, but if a red square scribbled onto a white background can be considered art, video games should be awarded that distinction.