New AHS Speed Bumps Confusing Drivers? | Teen Ink

New AHS Speed Bumps Confusing Drivers?

By astachowiak BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
astachowiak BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

This year, Arrowhead Union High School in Hartland, Wisconsin added speed bumps, crosswalks and flashing signs to the North Campus parking lots. There has been debate about if these additions will increase the safety of students walking between the Mullet Center and North Campus.
Do they confuse drivers or will traffic be better? Why were they put in and was it a good idea?
According to associate principal Pete Nejedlo, the speed bumps, crosswalks and flashing signs were donated by the Mullet Family.
The Mullet family is also involved with the Mullet center and hockey at Arrowhead. The family wanted to add items to the Campus to increase safety for the hockey players that walk between the Mullet Center and North Campus.
Senior hockey player Benny Serres said, “I like that the Mullet family thinks about the hockey players, but I personally don’t think it will make driving around campus any easier.”
Safety for students walking across the roads of Arrowhead is one thing but traffic and confusion for drivers is another.
Nejedlo said he had no input when it came to putting the new signs and speed bumps. He also says, “I am a little nervous when it comes to driving confusion, drivers slowing down for the speed bumps can be mistaken for a stop and cause cars crossing traffic to turn in front of them.”
These additions are usually supposed to add safety and less confusion to anybody who uses the roads at Arrowhead, but lately the students have a different opinion.
Senior Cody H said, “Cars get stuck on the speed bumps because traffic is so bad.”
Confusion has the most effect on the drivers at Arrowhead.
Senior, John W says, “Its bad idea and it’s going to confuse drivers.”
Senior Brian E also agrees saying, “it’s going to clog up traffic and make everything confusing.”

This is an article that I wrote for my school's newspaper.