Summary/Reflection | Teen Ink

Summary/Reflection

By nolan jensen SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
nolan jensen SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The article “People Still Hate Windows 8” written by Will Oremus explains that Windows 8 has not received the popular buzz its predecessor saw. He begins with a quote from a friend of his saying “You’ll hate Windows 8.” He then goes on to explain that the new operating system has only seen ten percent of people upgrade compared to Windows 7’s 20 percent three years ago.

The piece is very negative to Windows 8 and leaves the reader thinking Mr Oremus had a bad experience with the new operating system. The title even says people hate the new operating system, yet there is no reason given to hate it. The author does a great job explaining that the number of people upgrading is not nearly as vast as Windows 7. However, he leaves no reason why the operating system should be hated or made to frustrate users. Windows 8 is not a vastly different system from Windows 7. The only main difference is the app-based home screen. The largest difference is its integration of the new touchscreen technology.

Touchscreens are the new feature that makes any device seem new-age and now. Many have not yet upgraded to this now common style of product out of rebelliousness, fear, or an inability to adapt to technology. Windows 7 and 8 are not different enough for many people without a touchscreen laptop to go through the trouble of upgrading and not necessary enough to compel them to get a new laptop more compatible with the new Windows. Windows 8 may not be as popular as Windows 7 was, but that doesn’t mean people hate it. Not every update to an operating system is going to wow people into getting it right away. Some people get adjusted to one operating system and stick with it until it becomes too obsolete to be compatable with anything else and some even stick with it then.