Bad Ad | Teen Ink

Bad Ad

December 11, 2013
By DanielVetter14 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
DanielVetter14 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Slim-Fast advertisement from Unilever is in a 2013 issue of Entertainment weekly magazine. The ad displays a translucent young woman who is stating “I want to get into my new pants.” While her thought bubble says, “I want to get into someone else’s pants.” At the bottom, a bottle of milk chocolate Slim Fast is displayed splashing in itself, with the text: “Get what you really want Slim Fast!”

In the ad, the target audiences of this ad are teen girls and young women. Stating that this young woman wants to get into her new pants associates that this drink, Slim Fast, will help her to achieve this. While this may be appealing, it’s not close to being true. Nowhere does it state what exercising and dieting habits that must also be followed before drinking this product.
In todays society, humor is commonly used to alleviate a rather intense subject. In this ads case, they indirectly talk about sexual intercourse and how drinking their product will make you skinnier and sexually appealing. The humor is how shockingly straight forward this advertisement is printed, making the reader laugh and want to continue reading the advertisement. This, however, is far from the truth as Slim Fast has no way of making someone more sexually appealing.
Stating this illusion, targeting people who may be overweight, or what todays society considers overweight, this ad “provides a simple solution.” Simply drinking their product will make you get what you want, in the ads case, fit into smaller pants and be more sexually appealing.
This ad states that you can get what you really want, fast. However, solely drinking this drink WILL NOT make you skinnier. This ad offends those who may have a weight problem and reinforces society’s horrible outlook on beauty. Young women who try this drink are also given the idea that this is all they need, and that there is no need to eat. This is not what we want in our society and should not be overlooked as just humor, when it can offend or hurt someone.