Chicago Streets | Teen Ink

Chicago Streets

November 14, 2013
By Aerica Firman BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Aerica Firman BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

In the November 2013 issue of Teen Ink, Alicia G. made me think of my trip to Chicago with my family in her article “She’s Only Five.” I remember going to Chicago on summer with my family. Both my sister and I were each given sixty dollars to spend outside the American Girl Doll shop. We walked everywhere we in Chicago because we didn’t feel safe ever taking a taxi. While my family and I were walking, I kept seeing people sitting down on old, ragged blankets on the cold sidewalk. I kept asking my parents who they were, so they explained. I felt very bad for their cold, aching bodies. On our way to the Hard Rock Café, I saw a young girl about eight years old, my age at the time, and her mom sitting down on their blanket. They looked hungry and sick. The mom was holding a McDonald’s cup; however, it was empty. I pulled out a five-dollar bill from my pink camouflage wallet and gave it to the little girl. I told her mother to take her and her daughter across the street to get something to eat. My perspective about life, as well as Alicia’s, changed since that Chicago trip. Seeing how many people were out on the streets with absolutely nothing. I became very grateful of my belongings and my family.