Divergent VS. Hunger Games | Teen Ink

Divergent VS. Hunger Games

June 10, 2013
By chocolatina PLATINUM, Northbrook, Illinois
chocolatina PLATINUM, Northbrook, Illinois
34 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers."


Two of the most popular books people of all ages have fallen in love with are Divergent by Veronica Roth and the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I myself find both novels to be riveting. After reading the stories, I realize that the books have a series of similarities and differences that allow them to be the unique but equally fascinating books they are. One similarity between Divergent and the Hunger Games is that both take place in a dystopian society. A dystopian society is an imaginary or futuristic place where people lead dehumanized and often fearful lives. Both societies rise from the ruins of North America. Divergent is set specifically in the city once known as Chicago while the Hunger Games is set throughout North America. Another prominent similarity is that both stories are narrated by female protagonists. Tris in Divergent and Katniss in the Hunger Games are two brave, rebellious sixteen-year olds, who endure an oppressive government along with routine teenage difficulties. Both Tris and Katniss play a major role in the future of their nation. The third similarity between these two novels is that both involve communities that are isolated and distinguished from one another. In Divergent the society is separated into five factions, each representing a virtue: honesty, intelligence, bravery, selflessness, and peace. Members of different factions rarely associate with each other. Likewise, in the Hunger Games the nation is divided into twelve districts. Each district has a main industry that functions as the center of life for its population. In addition to similarities, Divergent and the Hunger Games have several key differences. For example, in Divergent one has the ability to choose their faction at the age of sixteen, therefore allowing them to dictate their own future. On the other hand, one does not have the freedom of choosing their district in the Hunger Games. Another difference is that conflicts within the government erupt throughout the story in Divergent, whereas opposition towards the government is present for several decades in the Hunger Games. The protagonists also face difference difficulties in their stories. Tris mainly struggles to find her place in her new faction, while Katniss has more day-to-day problems, such as finding food for her family. Also, Tris and Katniss play different roles in their nation’s war. Tris is more of soldier, involved in the combat itself, whereas Katniss is portrayed rather as an icon of hope for the rebels. Furthermore, Tris and Katniss both engage in romance in their stories. Tris always shows affection towards only Four, but Katniss is involved in a romance triangle with two boys and struggles to decide between them. The final contrast between Divergent and the Hunger Games is that in the Hunger Games, the Capitol is more clearly defined as the all-powerful government that controls the nation of Panem. An unnamed government, however, composed of members of different factions exists in Divergent, therefore differentiating the two books. Comparing and contrasting these two novels allows me as a reader to grow by delving deeper into the context of each book.