The Best Soccer Cleats by Position | Teen Ink

The Best Soccer Cleats by Position

By Munib BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Munib BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

There are many different cleats on the market these days. There are firm ground cleats, soft ground cleats, hard ground cleats, lightweight/speed cleats, power cleats, and even cleats that will help you bend the ball better. With all of those cleats on the market it can be hard to know which ones are the best for you, so what I’ve done is determined the best of those for every position.

Forwards

Playing the forward position is very demanding. As a forward you must constantly score goals or setup opportunities for other players to get goals. To go a couple of games without scoring can be very nerve-wracking. To be sure that you are playing at the highest level possible, you need cleats that match your style of play. If you are playing the forward position your cleats need to have the proper touch and power. I recommend the Adidas F50 adizero. These cleats are one of the lightest on the market so they will maximize your speed and if you get the leather ones they have a very nice touch. The F50s retail for around $120. There is also a better version called Adidas F50 adizero Prime, which are lighter but they are much more expensive retailing around $180. You could also get the Nike Superfly III. They are also pretty light and they offer much more power than the F50. Nike has put plastic pods into the strike zone that distribute power evenly. They retail for around $300-$450.

Midfielders

As a midfielder your job is to cross the ball into the box and get the ball to your forwards. Your cleats need to offer you comfort, touch, and power. I recommend the Adidas Predator adiPower or the Adidas adiPure IV. The Predators have something called the Predator element that runs along the inside part of the cleat. Within it there are three colors, blue then yellow then black. The areas that have these colors are slightly raised with blue the least raised and black the most raised. The Predator Element increases the power of your kick and also properly settles a long ball that is played to you. The Predator retails for $180. The adiPure IV is an all round amazing cleat that is very reliable. It has something to offer for every position so because midfielders have many roles it is very useful. It is made of kangaroo leather which makes the touch amazing. When you are wearing these cleats it seems like the ball is just moving with your body. The adiPure retails for $140.

Defenders
As a defender you have a role in one of the most important parts of the game. Whether you are the center back or one of the full backs, you are extremely important. As a full back you must be able to keep up with the opposing wingers so your cleats must offer you consistency, touch and traction. I recommend the Adidas F50 adizero. As a center back your role is to contain the opposing striker and a lot of times you must clear the ball up the field. Your cleats should offer you comfort, protection, and power. I recommend the Adidas adiPower Predator or the Nike Tiempo Legend. The Tiempos are also pretty lightweight and they offer great touch because they are made of kangaroo leather. They retail from $150-$315.

Goalkeepers
As a goalkeeper you are the last line of defense. Your cleats must offer you traction, power, and comfort. I recommend the Adidas adiPower Predator or the Nike T90 Laser III. The T90s have pods positioned in the strike zone that absorb pressure as you strike the ball. They are great for amateur and semi-professional goalkeepers. They retail for around $90.

There are many cleats out there and the best ones for you are the ones that fit you the best and match your style of play the best. Also, there are many cleats that are really good for all of the positions. I hope you know a little bit more about the different soccer cleats.