Silver and Gold | Teen Ink

Silver and Gold

By -Bilo- BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
-Bilo- BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Everything you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it.

“Silver and Gold?” by Anne Kopas is a haiku with a strong message. It depicts the value of words by comparing silver and gold to words; it explains how she may not have much worth in precious metals, but she has the power of words, and plenty of it.

I agree with this poem. The power of words, whether spoken or written, is the greatest strength any person can have. To put it in perspective, gold stays on the surface, but words penetrate the skin and engulf the mind. Whether you use this power to hurt someone, make changes, or simply to make someone fall in love with you, words are powerful.

Real world examples of how words can change the world come from people such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Adolf Hitler. Martin Luther King Jr., an anti-segregation activist, helped change the world and gained immortality with his various speeches, in particular “I have a dream”. Adolf Hitler, German Dictator, expanded the German Empire and persecuted many citizens. Surprisingly, he was able to get away with this for a long time. Now what do these two people have in common, the way they were able to “wow” large crowds and persuade populations through their words. This is an admirable characteristic.