Visiting the Holy Land by Jen Flaum

Summary: Throughout this selection, a young girl describes her trip to Israel, her Holy land. She also portrays life in Israel and how proud she is of being Jewish.

Review: The selection “Visiting the Holy Land” by Jen Flaum was an eye-opener to me. We Americans sometimes don’t really think of life outside of U.S. borders. I appreciate when people are so proud of their heritage and where they came from. This young girl traveled all the way to Israel, her Holy land, and had the courage to write about it and her love of who she is. It excites me to learn about how it actually is over in another country and learn that it’s really no different from ours. It reminds me of how intrigued we all are when we talk to the exchange students that come to Ayersville and hear how things are different and hear what they have to say about America. Learning about other cultures and hearing people’s pride they have for their backgrounds brings passion to my heart for our country as well. I was very impressed with this selection.