Reaction to "50 Reasons to Live" | Teen Ink

Reaction to "50 Reasons to Live"

By Daniel Ponce BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Daniel Ponce BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

“Karen” Cabot’s story “50 Reasons to Live” in the September 2011 issue was my favorite out of the entire magazine because I was able to deeply connect to the author's mood portrayed in the story. The story was about a teen who was sad on the inside but could not show how she actually felt to the world. Suicide came into the teen’s mind, and she decided to write a suicide note but could not do it. Instead the teen wrote a list of reasons why she should live. After the list, the teen came to the conclusion that it was better to live and get through a temporary problem then do a permanent solution that cannot be taken back. I can completely understand how the author felt and can relate to the dilemma completely. I was just amazed, almost to the point of being speechless, of how much I could relate to the story in a point of my life from the first word to the final period. The story explains how I felt at one point in my life. I didn’t write a list like the author; instead, I did a mental list. By doing that mental list, I was able to realize that I cannot be sad in a life that has so many good things. Going back to the bottom is not an option, and I am glad that the author didn’t commit suicide and decided to tell her story.