"An Unexpected Outcome" | Teen Ink

"An Unexpected Outcome"

By MarissaA BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
MarissaA BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

In the September 2011 issue in “An Unexpected Outcome,” Teresa’s mom started doing “hard-core” drugs when Teresa was eight years old. Her mom wasn’t taking care of her anymore, and they were homeless. When Teresa would go to school, child protection services would talk to her, but she lied and said everything was fine. Eventually, she told about her mom, and her grandma got custody of her. She got a job at fourteen and started making money. Her bosses asked her if she wanted to try out for a softball team, and she made it. She ended up getting a scholarship to play softball at Louisiana State University.

I found “An Unexpected Outcome” very heart warming. A very young girl had to deal with a lot, and her mother didn’t even care about her anymore. All her mom cared about was drinking and getting high. She was eleven when she told someone what was going on. I can’t even imagine how she felt. I would never be able to deal with something like that. This story makes me realize how lucky I am to have loving parents. Her mom didn’t care about her, and she got over it and made something of herself without the help of a mother or father. If my mom didn’t care about me, it would break my heart. It’s really sad no one was there for her the first eleven years of her life, but very great she’ll have people who love her for the rest of her life.