The Riverdance | Teen Ink

The Riverdance

June 28, 2011
By coolstudygirl GOLD, Vermilion, Ohio
coolstudygirl GOLD, Vermilion, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Have you heard of the popular Irish Dance show The Riverdance? Well I did and I actually saw it earlier this year. For the people who do not know what The Riverdance is well I'm going to tell you. It's as I said before a popular Irish dance show it's known worldwide and has been performed in many countries on different continents like Europe, North America, Asia, and Africa.

When I first saw it I was very impressed it was the best show that I ever saw in my life! It starts out as a guy telling a story then the show starts out very slowly and the energy builds up slowly during the show. I remember the energy and you can tell that there was a lot of it. The lights, dancing, and music were all great.

You are probably wondering who started this? How did The Riverdance got started? Well in 1994 the Eurovision Song contest wanted an Irish dance number during the intermission. So they contacted Irish American dancers Michael Flatley, and Jean Butler to come up with an idea for a dance number. So that's how it started. But it didn't have opening night as an actual dance show till 1996 at the Point Theater in Dublin, Ireland.

Eventually Jean and Michael left the Riverdance but Michael was forced to. While Jean chose to leave years later.