A Very Potter Musical | Teen Ink

A Very Potter Musical

April 14, 2010
By BethPerez SILVER, New City, New York
BethPerez SILVER, New City, New York
8 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I won't be labeled as average" - Rachel Joy Scott


More often than not, fanfiction gets a bad rep. Most ignore the characters true colors and set up odd romance pairing. “A Very Potter Musical” is absolutely no exception to this. However, this fan-made college musical, written by Brian Holden and Darren Criss, is forgivable for all of its plot and character flaws. It’s easy to say that this musical is “totally awesome.”

The musical is a spoof off of the Harry Potter series. It finds an odd way of combining books 1, 4, 6, and 7. Because of this, the writers took creative liberty and in AVPM certain characters have to double their importance and fill in for other characters’ important roles. Such as in the House Cup Tournament, which is somewhat like the Tri-Wizard Tournament, Cho Chang takes the place of Fleur Delacor as the female competitor and Draco takes the place of Viktor Krum as the other male contestant that isn’t Harry or Cedric Diggory. Aside from this happening within the cast, there are also some actors who play multiple minor roles, such as Molly Weasley and Pansy Parkinson being playing by the same actress and Minister Fudge being played by the same actor that played Cedric Diggory. As confusing as it sounds on paper, it’s very easy to follow while watching.

Now, it is a musical. What’s one of the most important parts of a musical? The music! I promise you when I say it has the catchiest tunes known to man. The tones of the songs range from a ballad about missing the one who mattered most, sung by Harry Potter and Quirrel, to a power song that raises your spirits as seen in “Voldemort Is Going Down.” It’s been weeks since I watched the play and I’m still singing the opening number, titled “Goin’ back to Hogwarts.” The moment Harry starts singing about how he “can’t take all of these muggles” it’s apparent that you’re in for a laugh and one hell of a ride. This song is where the plays phrase “totally awesome” stems from. Throughout the song, which spawns over two scenes, there are a series of small dialogues. Each character makes an appearance through the whole number whether through song itself, as part of the chorus or with a solo, or simply dialogue.

The best part about the musical however is the characters. While they don’t stay totally true to the ones from the book, you’ll watch the play wondering why JK Rowling didn’t write them this way. There’s Harry, the boy with awesome guitar skills. Ron, who always has a snack with him at any given moment he’d onstage. Hermoine, self proclaimed “frumpy but super smart.” Ginny, the girl who’s obviously in love with the boy who lived. (Hermoine and Ginny are proof that some things aren’t worth changing.) Quirrel, who obediently serves his master Voldemort. Voldemort, who can't wait to dance again and is absolutely sexy. Dumbledore, who has a bit of a crush on Snape describing him as the “kindest, bravest, gentlest, sexiest man he’s ever met.

The three characters that completely and totally steal the show however are Snape and Draco. Snape opens up with a pop quiz that goes something like this: “Can anybody tell me what a portkey is? … Now, can anybody tell me what foreshadowing is?” Oh, clever Darren and Brian. I see what you did there. Snape also has his own catch phrase which causes him to be what I like to call and incoming-ham. Almost anytime he enters a room he starts off with the phrase “What the devil is going on here?” And, of course, if anything goes wrong in Hogwarts with the students he immediately says “Ten points from Gryffindor” no matter the situation. The reason he’s possibly the 3rd funniest character in the show is his accent. His accent is such a terribly good making-fun-of impersonation of Alan Rickman, it’s genius.
However, the one who deserves the musical to be titled after him is none other than Draco Malfoy. As seen in the books, Malfoy can be a bit melodramatic. What better way to portray a melodramatic person than to have her roll on the floor anytime she needs to get around. Yes, I do mean she. Malfoy happens to be played by a girl, which only adds to the funniness of Malfoy’s unrequited crush on Hermione Granger. This crush is one that he denies until he sees Hermione at the Yule ball looking so beautiful that “every time [he] looked over at her [he] got butterflies in [his] tummy.” This prompted him to then sing a duet with Ron about their love for Hermione. Malfoy is also a bit deluded about being transferred to a school by the name of Pigfarts that is located on Mars whose Headmasters name is Rumbleroar (“he’s a lion who can talk”).
Every line that Draco says are the most quotable of the whole play and even if you’re not a Harry Potter fan, it makes it worth watching. The best part of this play? The whole thing is on YouTube where you can watch it … for free! Yes, the best thing that will ever happen to you comes at no charge. For those who have already watched it so many times that they know not only every line, but the stage directions as well, fret not. StarkidPotter productions, the ones who produced A Very Potter Musical have announced that there will be a sequel located on YouTube titled A Very Potter Sequel set to be posted in July 2010. Until then, I’ll just go “curl up in my sock drawer” until the sequel comes out.

The author's comments:
I realize I forgot to talk about Voldemort's "totally awesome"-ness, but I couldn't think of much to say except that he's extremely sexy.