Rude? | Teen Ink

Rude?

By brooke lyness BRONZE, Moraga, California
brooke lyness BRONZE, Moraga, California

How many times a day do you check your cell phone for the time or to make a quick text or call? For the over 200 million cell phone users in the United States, this is a common occurrence. The cellular device has grown in popularity and use and has become a necessary tool for work and communication. According to data by M:Metrics, which tracks mobile data use, the most popular non-voice feature is text messaging with 61 million users. After that, 46 million have tried mobile gaming, and 33 million who take photos. Although, with this vastly expanding horizon of mobile technology, there comes a down side. Phones are used for more and more things every day such as browsing the Internet, business meetings, texting, taking photos, and gaming, but can also be considered rude if used at the wrong time.
Cell phones are used mainly for communication: whether it is e-mail, texting, instant messaging, or simply talking on the phone. The every day use of a cell phone has had an impressive impact on the life of the modern day businessperson. Cell phones are used to communicate with clients and to send quick messages at the press of a button. Heidi Hansen, of San Anselmo, who is a marketer for a medical laboratory, said she can't go a day without her cell phone and added, "If it breaks, I have to go that day and make sure it gets dealt with. I have given out my number to clients. I can't do that and not be available." Other forms of communication are also expressed through teenagers who stay constantly informed of the community that surrounds them or to keep in touch with friends and family, such as a friendly “hello” or an “I miss you.”
One of the reasons that the cell phone was invented for was to make communication quicker and easier for the person on the go by creating the text message. For example, a student during school will most likely receive text messages from their parents or legal guardians asking about transportation situations after school or what time a sport ends that day; but before the cell phone was popular, parents would have to contact the school and by the time the student received and responded to this message it might have been too late. In addition, 44% of Americans have found ways to flirt using their cell phone, such as through text messages and 17% said their phone saved them from an uncomfortable date.
Some people would argue that in this modern time the cell phone is used too much, are often times used in a rude manor, and people are too dependant on them. For instance, some people don’t consider a cell phone conversation in a bathroom or in a restaurant is disrespectful or rude. Cell phones have slowly diminished the line between public and private conversations by public conversations on a cell phone about a private subject. Also, many people who own cell phones have become too dependent or obsessive over them. Almost 2 of every 3 people used their cell phone backlight to look for something in the dark and the BBDO survey said that 15 percent of Americans have interrupted sex to answer a cell phone call.

As years go on and the cell phone becomes as necessary as an article of clothing, society will eventually transform these rude habits into things of the past and they will turn acceptable through extensive use. Fordham's Levinson says, "I predict that in five to 10 years we'll see over 80 percent have no problem with cell phones in a restaurant. When new media is introduced people tend to be loyal to the old media they grew up with and often suspicious and antagonistic to new media." Also, Let's Talk Chief Executive Officer Delly Tamer said “etiquette, as it usually does, lags behind new technology.” In this age of technology people will be less affected by improper etiquette and the cell phone will transform into a more practical device rather than a distraction.

it's for school