The Ohio State University | Teen Ink

The Ohio State University

January 3, 2010
By KellyFeninh BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
KellyFeninh BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Columbus, Ohio is home to the eighteenth largest university in the country. With more than 60,000 students, Ohio State is one of the most diverse universities in the country. There are more than 900 organizations and clubs offered, which makes for an exciting and fulfilling college experience. This school offers both a great education and a vast amount of extracurricular activities.

Ohio State has an outstanding academic reputation. There are over 160 majors to chose from, nine being voted in the top ten in the nation, as well as 240 master’s, doctoral, and professional degree programs. Ohio State is also rated in the top twenty public universities in the nation.

The campus itself is beautiful, with notable places such as Mirror Lake and The Oval. The Oval is famous for having hundreds of students gathered on it, studying, playing sports, or simply socializing. There is also the well-known tradition of jumping in Mirror Lake during the week of the Ohio State-Michigan football game. Thousands of students jump into this lake, regardless of the weather outside. This is a rather bizarre tradition being as this football game usually takes place when it is exceptionally cold out, however, it shows just how strong traditions grow at this school.

One notable component of Ohio State is its setting. It is located in the
capital of Ohio, Columbus, a city of 754,885. If a student is looking for a
big city atmosphere with the convenience of a safe campus, Ohio State is the school for him or her. Ohio State also has a transportation system that will pick a student up from any location within a certain distance of the university. One of the main focuses at the school is that the students feel safe, and the transportation system is just one of the many programs they have created to achieve that.

The Ohio State University has one of the most followed football programs in the nation. The Buckeyes play their home games in "The ‘Shoe,” the famous stadium in shape of a horseshoe. Other than the football team, there are eighteen men and twenty women varsity sport teams. For those students who are interested in playing sports and being active during their college years, club sports and intramural sports are also offered. Intramurals are opened to any student, and are played within the university. Club teams, however, require that the student try-out. These teams are at a more competitive level than intramural teams, and they travel to other colleges to compete. There are also recreational centers throughout the campus; filled with cardio machines, free weights, weight machines, basketball courts, racquetball courts, just to name a few of the many entities offered to students.

The Ohio State University one of the largest universities in America, with
infinite opportunities to have the best college experience possible. Not only is Ohio State nationally ranked for nine of its undergraduate programs, but it is also home to some of the most exciting sports teams in college athletics; including their football team which will be playing in the Rose Bowl game this year, which is one of the best games to play in. The Ohio State University has some of the most unique and exciting traditions, as well as one of the best educational opportunities in the country.