The Best Quote from a Christmas Carol | Teen Ink

The Best Quote from a Christmas Carol

December 19, 2009
By kalen_zeeh BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio
kalen_zeeh BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What is the best quote from a Christmas Carol?

I think the best quote was when the second specter said: "There are some upon this earth of yours," returned the Spirit, "who lay claim to know us, and who do their deeds of passion, pride, ill-will, hatred, envy, bigotry, and selfishness in our name, who are as strange to us and all out kith and kin, as if they had never lived. Remember that, and charge their doings on themselves, not us." (Dickens A Christmas Carol) I think this is the best quote because whenever anyone does something in the name of a god or gods, and the thing then kills lots of people everybody blames the religion when it is the person’s fault. People must take responsibility for their actions, good or bad.
At that time in the book Scrooge is learning that if he dose nothing he will be responsible for Tiny Tim’s death. Even though this did not make him change his ways it was what made him willing to go with the last specter. Then, the last specter could show him his own grave and the fact that no one cared about him, the specters worked as a team to convince him.

I think the second best quote was: "It is required of every man," the ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide; and, if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death." (Dickens A Christmas Carol) This quote from Marley shows how he is trying to help Scrooge and save him from the pain of the after life of the d*****. If Scrooge had not been such a penny pincher he would not have needed the specters to help him. Marley would never have said this to him; he might never have even been friends with Marley. The last thing might not have been a good thing because Marley seems like a pretty good friend to come back from the dead to help Scrooge and all.
Unfortunately, Scrooge thinks he is just his indigestion acting up again and doesn’t believe him. He is finally convinced by the specters that show up afterwards and show him the error of his ways. It is not clear exactly when this happens but I think somewhere between when the first specter shows up and half way through the second, because by the time the last specter gets there he his willing to go with it even if it is frightening.

And last but not least because there are many other quotes from the book is the third most important quote: “And it was a very uncommon kind of torch, for once or twice when there were angry words between some dinner-carriers who had jostled each other, he shed a few drops of water on them from it, and their good humor was restored directly. For they said, it was a shame to quarrel upon Christmas Day. And so it was! God love it, so it was!” (Dickens A Christmas Carol) I think this was one of the best quotes form the whole book for two reasons: One the torch is just awesome: it has water in it that can stop fights that could bring about world peace. And second it shows what Charles Dickens was trying to get across, don’t fight on Christmas; Christmas is a time to be happy and marry defiantly not a time to fight.