Call of Duty Article Review

Is war fun? Is war a game? Well the developers of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 seem to agree with those questions. According to Chris Suellentrop, “Modern Warfare 2 is immersive, gripping, gut-wrenching, nerve-wracking, disturbing, and thought-provoking and, yes, unpleasant.” In his article “This war is Hell” Suellentrop states that Modern Warfare 2’s achievement was to make him feel bad about his actions. He also explained that the game was unlike any other game by bringing out those emotions. Suellentrop was greatly appalled by a certain mission in the game. This mission involves an undercover CIA agent doubling as a Russian Terrorist, but that’s not it. You enter the mission, along with four other men with guns, and begin to kill innocent civilians in a Russian Airport. Suellentrop admits to pulling the trigger in the airport, he also admits that he “was knocked off balance by emotion” that he had tucked away.
This game being too violent never crosses a gamers mind. Gamers want to play a game that involves violence and they don’t care what kind, it intrigues them. A game is a game. Nothing else. The mature rating on this game says it all. The game is made for mature individuals.
Chris Suellentrop forgot to explain the game in depth. He seems to focus most of the article around the first mission in the game, where you are a Russian terrorist shooting up an airport. He must have forgotten to put in the question before this mission. A question that explains to the person playing the game that they do not need to play this mission. A question that explains how violent the mission is. A question that after every warning, asks you to select to go on, or to skip the mission.
Being a gamer, I find myself enjoying games like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. The pure adrenaline rush that you get while playing a first person shooter is unbelievable. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 brought war to life, on both sides. You have the missions where you are killing terrorists in Afghanistan along with the missions where you are a terrorist. This game allowed for people to realistically see the affects of war, while sitting on a couch or a chair.