The Holder of the Rose | Teen Ink

The Holder of the Rose

By Jarett Kallas GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jarett Kallas GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I think it is very interesting how a name can hold meaning behind it. These hidden meanings have much in common. Parents choose a name based on previous friends and family, or whether or not it is audibly pleasing. However, could it be that the meaning behind a name is more important than both these things? How accurate can a prediction be when made of someone you know nothing about? Coincidentally or not, my name is Greek in origin and means ruler or holder of the rose. This fits closely with my personality.

How could my mother have known I liked to be in charge weeks before I was born? Truthfully, I do not think she did. It is rare to find someone whose name means loser, unfriendly, or idiot. Who would name their child that? The accuracy of the meaning of people’s names depends on the fact that the names describe traits that people have in common, or would like to have in common.

Words by nature are subject to multiple interpretations. Peoples names are no exception. Ruler is a broad word and has a array of potential meanings. In standard speech, a ruler is someone who commands or controls others; however, I have a different perspective. In my interpretation, my name is more directed towards self-control. I am in control of myself; actions, thoughts, and words. This is another reason having a name with meaning is important. The meaning behind a person’s name is customized by the individual to suit his or her own personality.

For these reasons, the meaning of a person’s name is an accurate representation of their character. I would encourage anyone who does not know the meaning behind their name to look it up and find out. You could learn something about yourself that you didn’t know before.