25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee | Teen Ink

25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee

May 26, 2009
By emmett dillon BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
emmett dillon BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The play/musical that I saw was The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee. I loved this play. It was probably the funniest play I have ever seen. The main summary of the play was a bunch of kids competing for a first prize trophy in a spelling bee. Each child has a problem with him or her. There were a total of 6 children, 2 teachers, and 1 support counselor on parole. Throughout the play, the kids in the bee were singing about there problems and what they want to be like in their future. Each person had a problem, from being too perfect to having a certain special need. Each of the kids was very smart. Most word that was given they got it right. While one girl wanted the trophy real bad, another boy was trying to show off to an audience member with his Boy Scout charm. The acting in this play was phenomenal it easily it gets 5 stars. Almost every actor played a double role, from a kid to a parent and back and forth from there. Kids had problems with there parents to no parents at all. There was even a girl who had a gay couple. It was a great setup. Each player was trying to get rid of another. For example, there was a kid who had a magical foot who wrote the words out with his foot. Another girl poured red bull on stage to make the foot stick to the ground so he doesn’t write out the word. They also brought up 4 people from the audience to spell. They eventually lost from very tough words. The actors interacted with the audience and the stage was set up like Midsummer Nights Dream and I give it two big thumbs up. The actors cracked jokes almost every other line. I thought this play was very funny and remarkable. I didn’t expect it to be that good. I highly recommend this play to anyone. Probably one of the best plays I have ever seen.