What It All Means: Chris Burden Exhibit At The Ica | Teen Ink

What It All Means: Chris Burden Exhibit At The Ica MAG

By Anonymous

   I usually don't go to art shows but when seeing the poster advertising the Chris Burden exhibit, I was fascinated by the ski mask, the rope and the gun. Usually when I think of an art exhibit, I think of pretty paintings and innocent sculptures. But upon entering the Institute of Contemporary Art, I was surprised to see a turnstile attached to a 100 ton jack, which I was told has the power to burst the walls of the ICA.

My attention was soon caught by 625 tiny submarines hanging from the ceiling. They were magical at first, until I realized the submarines were underwater warships. In fact a lot of sculptures reflected violence expressed by the artist. The to .38 slugs and a one pound weight were displayed under glass; the Neutron bomb made of 50,000 matchsticks laid on nickels; and newspaper clippings of missing girls and attempted suicides; all portrayed Chris Burden's view of art found in violence.

His work is personal. He attaches handwritten notes to his sculptures and when looking at them, I felt as though I had stepped inside his mind. A black journal, a rock, and a shell were souvenir of his survival stay at a remote beach. "Trans-fixed" is a display of the two nails that had been driven through his palms on the top of a car while the engine screamed for him.

Although, I don't understand a lot of what he is trying to say, I found it interesting to just stand and enjoy it in my own way.