Salem | Teen Ink

Salem MAG

The Salem Witchcraft hysteria of 1692 is perhaps one of the most famous events in early American history

The Salem Witch Museum stands at 19-1/2 Washington Square in Salem. Inside, a multi-sensory presentation is offered. Through thirteen life-size wood and wax stage settings, the story of the afflicted girls is brought to life in a "theater in the round" setting. The half-hour audio-visual presentation tells the story of the trials and the accusations that led to the spread of the mass hysteria that struck Salem Village in this year of turbulence.

The Auditorium, where the darkness is overwhelming, is very effective. In the center of the large, open room stands a red, lighted circle. This serves as a commemorative circle and holds the 19 names of those hanged in 1692 (and that of the one man who was pressed to death.)

The Salem Witch Museum is well worth the trip and most likely will answer any questions you may have about Salem Village in 1692. So, for a recap of history and of America's greatest witch hunt, the Salem Witch Museum is the place to visit. To quote the museum - "Stop by for a spell - We're wicked good!" n