The Who's Tommy | Teen Ink

The Who's Tommy MAG

Amazing. Unbelievable. Spectacular. Breath-taking. Heart-stopping. At the Wang Center in Boston, I had the privilege to witness probably the greatest contribution to theater ever. The Who's Tommy, written by Pete Townshend, is the best show I have ever seen, heard, or felt. As soon as the orchestra hits the first note of this rock opera, the cast and crew spring into action with perfect choreography, flashing lights, and beautiful voices. The audience is on the edge of their seats, and there they stay there for the rest of the show.

Steve Isaacs is amazing in the title role, his voice echoes off the high ceilings of the Wang Center. Spectacular special effects and scenery include a pinball machine in spontaneous combustion and a backdrop entirely of mirrors and projections. One musical masterpiece leads to another, and by the finale of Act I, "Pinball Wizard," my hands were clenched together and chills covered my body. The second act was equally breath-taking with reprises of "Pinball Wizard" and "Sensation," "I'm Free," and "Smash the Mirror," belted out by Christy Tarr.

Even before the curtain fell, the audience jumped to its feet in a roar of applause. When I left the theater, my palms were sweaty, my heart was racing, and my hands were exhausted from clapping. Tommy is definitely the most incredible experience for the eyes, ears, and mind. .