Rent | Teen Ink

Rent MAG

I entered the Shubert Theater in Boston thrilled to be part of what expected to be an upbeat, trendy, '90s musical experience The crowd was huge, and the. lines were tremendously long at the Sunday matinee performance of "RENT." Many fresh-looking, young faces took their seats for a "real life show, a viewing of today's modern society."

My seat was five rows back from a slightly disappointing, rather dull-looking set. The atmosphere was plain and somewhat gloomy. The stage resembled a rundown apartment building in the slums of New York City. The building was gray and the whole set lacked spunk and livelihood.

When the show started the audience was introduced to the multicultural characters who were struggling with many problems of today's society. They were all out of money, and needed it desperately to pay their rent. A stopwatch went off and one of the characters informed us that it was time for her AZT break. Along with having AIDS and being poor, all of the characters were either homosexual or bisexual, which was the basis of the whole play. I did not find it an entertaining plot. The music contained some catchy lyrics, although it wasn't as great as it could have been.

Overall, I thought that "RENT" lacked an important element that would have kept the audience on the edge of their seats instead of leaned over on the armrest as I was. If I had the same opinion of the acting and the music as I did about the dull story, line, I would tell you that seeing "RENT" is a complete waste of time. Luckily this is not the case. The original songs and the real-life acting make up for some of what the depressing plot is missing. But they certainly don't make up for the $60.00 per ticket I paid to see the show!!! .

i love this so much!

Eliza.K BRONZE said...
on Oct. 4 2009 at 5:13 pm
Eliza.K BRONZE, Ridgefield, Connecticut
I agree with cabeyx3. Please get your facts straight. If you were expecting a run-of-the-mill, traditional, campy, flashy lights and upbeat music type of show, well, you shouldn't have gone to see RENT. I've seen RENT live 9 times, and I can tell you that it's made a difference in my life, as well as in the lives of thousands of other RENTheads. Also, not all of the characters are gay, or have AIDS. And this is not the basis of the whole play. The basis of the whole play is learning to love in the face of any trial, from disease to poverty. It's about overcoming adversity and about living each day like it's your last. But if you don't understand that, then you probably should have given your ticket to someone who does.

cabeyx3 said...
on Nov. 14 2008 at 5:10 pm
Hi, I just wanted to say that I dissagree. First of all, before you write a review, get your facts correct. Not all of the characters are homesexual or bisexual. There are at least three who arent. (Roger, Mimi, Benny) If you think this show was a waste of time, you probably don't understand the story line. Or that Jonathan Larson, the creater of RENT died suddenly after writing RENT about his friends, so the original cast had to take what they got from Jonathan and move foward.