Stomp | Teen Ink

Stomp MAG

Recently I attended a performance of "Stomp" with my family. One reason we went was because of a comment of a friend, "After you have seen that play, you just wanna go out into the garage and bang on the trash cans." The play was at the Wilbur Theater in Boston, Massachusetts. One good thing about the Wilbur is there is not a bad seat in the house because it is very small.

"Stomp," which originated in the United Kingdom in 1991, has played in many places. The cast has appeared on the "Rosie O'Donnell Show" and at the Academy Awards. They have also been in many commercials, but they refuse to make commercials for potato chips or "ridiculously named audiovisual stores."

There are only twelve performers in this production. They all compete to make the best rhythm with an odd instrument. In each of the acts there is a performer who starts the rhythm and every once in awhile another performer joins in. All of this creates a really cool rhythm. Some of the odd instruments are trash cans, oil drums, match boxes, brooms, cigarette lighters, sinks with water, newspapers, feet, hands, and poles.

Of the twelve performers some really caught my attention. One of them was an oddball who was not included in the contests among the performers. He always caused collisions and mistakes. He was my favorite. Another guy was really conceited and was always giving looks to the audience like "I can do better than that." He was also a big audience motivator, doing clapping repetition games.

One of the aspects that appealed to me is the percussion. I love that they take the most unusual instrument and create a really cool rhythm. Another aspect I liked is the audience motivation. They got the audience involved through clapping games. I thoroughly enjoyed this performance especially because it is different from anything I have seen. However, this play does not hold a candle to many more traditional musicals and plays including the "Phantom of the Opera," and "Grease" (my personal favorite). .

i love this so much!