Review: Couscous | Teen Ink

Review: Couscous MAG

One of my favorite snacks is something youmay never have tasted, or even heard of. It's a major part of NorthAfrican cuisine, and I love it. Couscous, from the Berber word seksu, ismade of fine grains of semolina in tiny flakes. In the Middle East mostfamilies make it by hand, but in the U.S. most just buy it in a box,ready to be cooked and devoured.

Couscous is similar to rice, notonly in appearance, but how it is used. It can be the base of manyrecipes and served with meat or vegetables, or eaten by itself. The bestthing about couscous is that it cooks in just fiveminutes.

Couscous is rapidly growing in popularity. You will findseveral brands and flavors in your local grocery store, while only a fewyears ago no one even knew what it was. Its growing popularity is duenot only to the great taste, but its nutritional benefits. Couscouscontains only 100 to 120 calories per half-cup serving, and includescomplex carbohydrates, Vitamin B and minerals. Whole-wheat couscous hasfiber, lots of phosphorus, potassium and zinc.

There are manyways to prepare couscous; my favorite is to boil it, then add spices andonions and top it with feta cheese. I used to be the pickiest eater, andyou're probably reading this and thinking eww! Most of my friends saythat when they ask what I'm eating, but couscous is reallygood!

Even if you have doubts, you should give it a try. Soonwe'll all be hooked on couscous!