The View from the Slow Lane | Teen Ink

The View from the Slow Lane

September 10, 2019
By Bricetin SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Bricetin SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“The View from the Slow Lane” by Nathan Aberlich. Nathan talks about him receiving his license and how hard it was for his mother because her little boy was growing up. His writing left me feeling how easy it was to relate to him in this situation. The writer was revved up and ready to go. He just received his license, was ready to blast his own toons and conquer the world. At the time he was ready to go, but when he finally realized his mother was upset he began to think. In the passage it states, “I hated to see my mom cry, and I hated more that I had been so ignorant toward her feelings.” He is finally realizing how his mom feels and he can actually take his mind off of the fact that he can go wild. He then gave his mother a hug and promised her that he would drive carefully. Then instead of wiping around corners and blasting the tunes, he was actually enjoying the slow driving. It states, “its low enough now to hear the soothing hum of the rubber tires against the asphalt and the short pause in the engine as the transmission shifts from gear to gear.” This shows that he is realizing to enjoy the moments of the drive and not how fast to get there.


The author's comments:

this piece was so well put together and very relatable since I do drive and my mom didnt take it too well either.