Waukesha DMV Review | Teen Ink

Waukesha DMV Review

July 10, 2019
By livalivabear BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
livalivabear BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I’ve never met someone who is excited about going to a DMV. But it’s a place most people have to go, so you might as well make it enjoyable. And that starts with finding an accommodating DMV.

Right off of highway 94 on Golf Road is the Waukesha DMV. It’s a popular location, often featuring a full parking lot of glistening cars that can be seen from the highway. In front of the parking lot is a garden with tiny shrubs surrounded by stones, meant to distract you from the cold brick walls. There are large windows looking in, but they are plastered with white and red signs advertising being an organ donor. Though the purpose is completely understandable, the bluntness is almost overwhelming.

At its busiest of 9 am when it opens, noon, or after 4 pm, you open the front doors, and immediately a queue stretches from one wall to another, waiting to check in at the front desk. Above the desk is a TV showing the wait time, which is generally around 10 minutes. After checking in, you are given a ticket number. The big TV screens hanging overhead will flash whichever number is being called, but the numbers aren’t in order, so it’s a guessing game of when you’ll be called. Though the check-in process may be annoying, it is efficient to accommodate all the requests. To make your trip hassle-free, you can set up online appointments and print forms on their website. 

 If you need a picture taken after checking in, you can conveniently step to the side of the desk where the backdrop is. Unfortunately, the same workers check in and take photos, so you may need to wait until the first line clears up before someone can take your picture. This also causes a picture line to build up, which quickly crowds the front desk area. 

Afterwards is the main seating area, which is filled with row after row of stiff, gray, plastic chairs that stick to your skin in the summer and leave remnants of anxious sweat. Though uncomfortable, the chairs are modern and able to be cleaned easily. Luckily, the room is spacious, seating almost twice as many people as other DMVs. However, these seats get filled up quickly, as the vast amount of people lead to long wait times. Customers don’t understand why it’s not their turn yet, and workers deal with a steady stream of impatience, leaving a tense environment that gives the DMV such a groan-inducing reputation.

After about 20-30 minutes of wondering if you’ve been forgotten, the TV screen will flash your number, in which most people sprint over to the high counters before losing their chance. Each counter is labelled 1-12 and performs different tasks. Upon getting there, sometimes you feel the worker look at you and practically roll their eyes. Other times, the workers will joke with you and genuinely seem happy to interact with people. It’s those times that the DMV almost feels enjoyable. Undoubtedly, the happiest moment is when the worker tells you that you’re all set at the counter. It’s then that you can relax and finally leave. 

All factors considered, the Waukesha DMV is a reliable source. If this location is in your proximity, it is a more efficient choice than the Milwaukee DMVs, who are notorious for unsafe roads and crowded waits. The DMV in Oconomowoc may be less crowded, but it’s only open on the 1st and 3rd Thursday every month and does limited tasks. The slightly longer drive to Waukesha will be worth getting it done correctly the first time. DMVs aren’t exactly pleasant, and Waukesha is no exception, but it is the better choice amongst all the others.