Serial Season 1 (Podcast) | Teen Ink

Serial Season 1 (Podcast)

June 7, 2019
By LaMarr-Alexander BRONZE, Sacramento, California
LaMarr-Alexander BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Serial is a podcast that talks about various real legal situations such as racial profiling, drug charges, murder, and much more different cases. Serial at this point has 3 seasons. All narrated by well known reporter Sarah Koenig. She specializes in gathering information along with her supporting co-workers. The season that will be reviewed is Peabody Award winning season 1 about the murder of Hae Min Lee. Teenagers should listen to the podcast because the event took place in high school which can make it more relatable.


Season 1 is a story about a young  18 year old Korean girl’s tragic death. Her name was Hae Min Lee and she was a student athlete, A+ student, and a great friend. She attended Woodland High School in Baltimore Maryland.  On January 13th, 1999, she ended up missing. 4 weeks later, she was found in Leakin Park. Her ex boyfriend, Adnan Syed was convicted of the first degree murder 15 years prior to the creation of this podcast. This podcast was created due to Adnan’s lawyer and family friend, Rabia Chaudry reached out to Koenig and asked her if she can look at the case in hopes for a retrial. Adnan says that he was wrongfully charged.  The case grabbed her attention and she decided to do research on it. Throughout this season, it displayed lots of positive traits. Such as great storytelling, the cast has experience, and the cast has good resources. They use good storytelling by making everyone a suspect while trying to see if Adnan is actually guilty.Most teens love mystery which is why it is a good listen for teens all over.


The cast experience in legal situations makes looking at files and tracking down people a lot easier. They explain what’s going on in an easy way so teens can understand. The good thing about the cast of Serial having resources is the people they can get to talk on the podcast. They brought people who are experienced in murder cases. It is easy to learn about psychology and the mind of a murderer with people with experience speaking on the topic. These topics may be interesting for teenagers.


Teenagers should listen to serial because of how engaging it is. The way Serial operates makes it an easy listen.Seeing how the events of Hae’s death happened in high school, it can almost relatable for teens in this age group.  Serial season 1 will get any teenager hooked.


The author's comments:

Junior in High School