Manny's Snack Shack, A Hometown Icon | Teen Ink

Manny's Snack Shack, A Hometown Icon

By ARoundhouse BRONZE, Pewuakee, Wisconsin
ARoundhouse BRONZE, Pewuakee, Wisconsin

My friends and I are very close and we often spend time going out to lunch and dinner during our weekends off. Over the summer of 2017 one of my friends made the suggestion that we should go to Twin Lakes on the border of Wisconsin and Illinois -where he used to live- and go to a breakfast restaurant called Manny’s Snack Shack. Manny's is located in the small town of Twin Lakes and is located just on the coast of lake Mary.  The drive was enjoyable and short enough to make the whole trip last only half a day.

When we got to the restaurant, we’re greeted by a small room with fishing related decor and a middle aged man -Manny- working on the grill. Manny is a shorter man with silver/white hair, he is an older gentleman with a heart of gold, just from sitting there and watching I could see that he has a personal connection with everyone in the town and greets everyone who walks through the door with a big smile and good food.

I came to the restaurant with a voracious appetite and ordered biscuits and gravy, I was swiftly served a plate of golden brown biscuits smothered in steaming sausage gravy made by Manny himself. The biscuits came on a massive plate and was truly a meal fit for a king. I was only able to get through about half the plate due to its immense size, but my friends made sure that the remainder of my food did not go uneaten.

For me, it is quite the drive to get there but it is well worth the drive. I have been to Manny’s twice now, and it is clear that it holds an important place in me and all my friend’s heart’s and we will be certain that we will visit again soon. Manny's is the perfect representation of a small town icon that, while it may not be the best restaurant, it is a certain experience that you cannot get anywhere else.