“Locked Library” by izzybeumer Review | Teen Ink

“Locked Library” by izzybeumer Review

By Isabella3373 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Isabella3373 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

The poem “Locked Library” by izzybeumer left me feeling trapped and full of secrets. To describe the poem in one word, I would use trapped. In the poem, the author wrote about an experience of hers that a lot of people can relate to. Her experience is of when a close friend or family member trusts you with a secret and her having to keep that secret and never let it go.  She feels honored to be trusted with such information, yet no one ever asks her. No one ever asks how she’s doing or keeps her secrets. This poem is relatable because I am very similar to her in that sense. A lot of friends trust me with their secrets, but I’m quiet, so they assume I don’t need to be asked about mine. They assume that I’m always okay and don’t feel anything because I don’t verbally express often. So, I just go through the motions because, “I’m okay, [.]” and I don’t want to bother them. I like the analogy the author uses of her brain being a library, but a messy one. It conveys disorganized thoughts and feelings representing the secrets she’s been told.  She shows this when she says “Stumbling on piles of books that flood my mind […]”.