My Review of | Teen Ink

My Review of

February 20, 2019
By Anonymous

In the writing titled, “Black is Beauty,” by Shenell, I was really blown away. This writing left me feeling amazed and had opened my mind a little bit more. In the writing, Shenell touches on racial topics. She talks about how black is always considered as a “bad” quality, “For some unknown reason the color black is always associated with bad things: black magic, blackmail, black sheep, the list goes on.” I have never really thought of the color black being bad, but once she listed those items, she made me think. Shenell is correct in saying that. If a black cat crossed your path back in years past, it would mean bad luck. Also, like she said with black magic and the black sheep, those are associated as being bad. Being the black sheep of the group to family meant that you stuck out because you’re different. Shenell also says that she has been told before that she was ‘pretty for a black girl.’ To me, beauty is beauty, not matter who they are. It doesn’t matter the skin color, the religious beliefs, anything. If someone is pretty, they are just pretty, no extra labels need to be added. At the ending of the writing, Shenell wrote, “We are all human Nothing is going to change unless we make an effort.” This is very true. I was reading a post on Instagram and it said something about what if someone opened a box of crayons and the crayons were all fighting because they were different colors? How pointless would that seem? We are like crayons. We need to stop all the fighting and violence because we are all people. Skin should not separate us.