Growing Apart | Teen Ink

Growing Apart

By exjordanary BRONZE, Essex, Maryland
exjordanary BRONZE, Essex, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Her voice swims swiftly through
the midnight air
It whispers soft and gently in my
ear
I run my fingers through her long
black hair
The sun begins to set and
disappears
Her eyes are like a luscious warm
delight
That melt into a shallow steep
cascade
A song she sings so sweet and so
polite
The empty lonely nights began to
fade
I stand in front of her, my heart
at ease
She stares into my eyes, her heart
beats loud
There are no moments wonderful as
these
Its times like these that make my
heart feel proud
Although I love her more than I can
show
I'd rather be someplace where I
can grow.

My creative writing teacher gave us an assignment one day. He said, "Class, you're going to write a sonnet." It was by far the hardest thing I've ever written in his class. This is my first and only sonnet, entitled "Growing Apart", and I hope you like it. When writing this piece, the only thing I could think about was keeping a steady rhythm. I kept saying to myself, "Iambic pentameter, iambic pentameter!" I didn't really know what I was going to write about. But, after completing the assignment an reading over my work, I realized that it was more than just ten syllables per line or a letter grade going into the grade book. So, what I'm hoping the reader will get from reading this is that it is a beautiful thing to love a person, whether it is a spouse, a friend, or a relative, but we all have our own purpose in life, and if that person is holding you back from achieving that purpose, it's best to let them go. And if they love you enough, they'll understand. I got a spiderman sticker on my paper, and in Mr. Matteau's class, that means a lot. So, yes I am proud of my work and of the way it turned out on my first try. Hope you enjoy :)