Not your typical love story | Teen Ink

Not your typical love story

October 1, 2013
youngbutbrilliant BRONZE, KB, Other
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

She is the kind that passers pause at, gawking
Disfigured, ugly, hideous from her birth.
Her days are filled with taunts and endless mocking.
She wandered lone, abandoned by the earth.

Although the world endeavored to break her will
She kept a secret hope that pulled her through
Her cherished dream, though hardest to fulfill
Was to someday love a man who loved her too.

About to give up hope, she found a one,
His unreserved devotion made her whole.
He was her moon, her stars, her shining sun,
And he found solace in her glowing soul.

A swerving car, a crash and splint’ring bone
And now she’s left to walk the earth alone


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this sonnet about a story that I heard some time ago. Alas, this tragic tale is true; there was a disabled and disfigured young woman who intensely desired to find a lifelong companion, and so searched throughout her life to find a partner. She was in her forties and beginning to lose hope when she finally met and married a wonderful man who fell in love with the amazing person she was. However two weeks into the marriage, he was killed by a drunk driver in a car accident.
This tragedy is more than just a depressing account of lost love and forsaken dreams. It is a reminder – not a self-righteous pontification, more like a subtle suggestion – to be grateful for the blessings we have been given, because not only are we lucky to have them, they could be taken away at any instance. At least, that is what I took away from the story.