Shameless Monster (Self-Destructive Me)

There was a time my heart belonged to you,
You filled my every thought and left me blind.
My love was misplaced though burned strong and true,
You played with my heart then left it behind.

Despite bitter pain, sweet thoughts still linger,
Ghosts of the past choking the air I breathe;
So I give the past the middle finger,
Ignore the nostalgia starting to seethe.

I look for comfort in meaningless things,
To hide reminders that nothing’s the same.
My reputation flying, a pair of wings
I am a monster, without any shame.

I’m too high to remember that speck of joy between you and me-
A forgotten glance, a fading glimmer I now wish I could see.

CarolynQ said...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:04 am
Love the titles you have they seem to just drag you in, and then the words just pull you deeper as you read. I really enjoyed your format. Don't doubt yourself you got the message out in an understandable way.

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:27 am
Thanks so much :) your comment means a lot to me :D

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 1:45 am
I like it, but again, I have to say, break up the lines. Maybe I'm just biased because that's how I tend to write. I don't know. Anyway, this is yet another of your good poems.

I get you, but this ones a sonnet so I was only following the format. :P

alanacarlene said...
My favorite line in this is the one about giving the past the middle finger I like your explained meaning behind this and I love that you're trying to use different formats in your writing! I actually really like this sonnet a lot...but then again I always like your poems :)

May 2, 2011 at 7:49 am
Thanks so much!! :) Thats my favorite line too :P 

drmstarlet21 said...

I adore this. Simply, wow.

I would love to give the past the middle finger...

My mind has a way of blocking the memories I subconsciously wish to forget. Though nothing is ever truly forgotten, I find that certain memories seem to fade as time goes on and the hurt slowly goes away.

Whenever I try to remember, all I can see is a misty haze. Though I thought they were forever, these lost memories put me in a daze. My heart wills me to keep up my desolate spirits, ... (more »)

Apr. 4, 2011 at 6:41 am
Thanks so much! :D Agreed, I feel the EXACT same way...