The Death of Me | Teen Ink

The Death of Me

May 31, 2017
By hepuskar20 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
hepuskar20 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pockets of Language Experiment - Holocaust - The Death Of Me

I wish I could make it easy                                       (Mr. Probz)
Help me through the hopeless haze                          (The Killers)
I cry for help                                                         (Rick Astley)
Over and over again                                          (Nathan Sykes)

You can lie to yourself and your minions        (Stephen Schwartz)
You can claim that you haven't a qualm         (Stephen Schwartz)
But you never can run from                          (Stephen Schwartz)
Nor hide what you've done                           (Stephen Schwartz)

Because of you I have                                       (Kelly Clarkson)
Nowhere to go and no place to call home                       (Ruth B)
Then one night as I closed my eyes                               (Ruth B)
I heard the screaming                                      (Trace Chapman)
Another sleepless night                                    (Tracy Chapman)

Taken away the innocence of life                              (Sully Erna)
Hear the children cry                                               (Sully Erna)
One by one they die                                                (Sully Erna)
Death comes with a shame we look away                  (Sully Erna)

I’m slowly drifting away                                            (Mr. Probz)
I'm scared                                                (Two Wounded Birds)
I'm unaware                                             (Two Wounded Birds)
I'm unprepared                                         (Two Wounded Birds)

All the things you haven't seen                                      (Travis)
Everything that last between                                         (Travis)

Pages you've yet to turn                                               (Travis)

Lessons you've never learned                                        (Travis)

How could you be so heartless                                    (Kanye)
Because all I am is a used to be, a yesterday, a memory         (Pentimento)
My memories of a corpse                                                (2PAC)
It's a deep game                                                            (2PAC)
They’ll never take me alive                                             (2PAC)
Unless I                                                          (The Word Alive)
Play the game                                                             (Queen)
No one survives                                               (Nekrogoblikon)


The author's comments:

I wanted to create a poem that tugged at peoples hearts. The Holocaust is the kind of subject that is capable of doing so I just knew I needed something meaningful to do so. Therefore I choose to use lyrics from different songs to put together a poem on the internal thoughts of a prisoner as well as just experience.