They Say | Teen Ink

They Say

November 17, 2014
By Anonymous

I took a step out of the darkness, to feel the light on my skin. Just thinking about your smile, makes me feel whole again. 

They say, the days, get colder. They say, we all, get older. So let me grow old, with you. Let me be free with this, feeling new. 

No one in the world makes me feel the way you do. So hold me, closer, than ever before. And never let me go. 

This feeling inside I just can't explain. It's wanting to take my heart and fix it up, just like the words that you say to me. 

They say, the days, get colder. They say, we all, get older. So let me grow old, with you. Let me be free with this, feeling new.

They say, the days, get colder. They say, we all, get older. So let me grow old, with you. Let me be free with this, feeling new.

I try to build up these walls just to push you away. But they fall down with every word that you say.

I took a step out of the darkness, to feel the light on my skin. Just thinking about your smile, makes me feel whole again.


The author's comments:

I wrote this a while back. It's about a girl who fell in love at a young age, maybe mid 20s. She had been cheated and lied too. She had major trust issues, but then she met a guy, who changed her world. She didn't want to live without him. When it says that the days get colder, and that we all get older, its talking about when you fall in love, and you spend at most a year together before you take the journey of a lifetime. 'A winter love' I guess you would say. I wrote this from an experience with my previous boyfriend, who I sadly lost. We planned to spend the rest of our lives together. Through everything. His birthday was in December, that's why I thought of coldness. A winter love. Growing old together, and being able to open up and not push the one you love away.