Song of Youth

We love the world and live in sin
And do not mind what others say;
We sing our songs and drink our gin--
Neglect the Voice of Yesterday.
We smoke our weed till our heads spin;
It is all for play, all child's play--
But in this game no one can win--
Here's to the dead: the young and gay.

MyApocalypticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 3, 2013 at 2:57 am
Oh my god. This is my anthem now. All around fabulous. Auuugh I love it, Mckay. I LOVE IT. Alsooo, "We jazz June/ We die soon"... one of my all-time favourites ;)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
If this is your anthem, then I think my work as a poet is accomplished. Can I retire now? Thank you so much. I appreciate all the love for this old, ancient bit of me. And yes, that poem was the inspiration for this piece. It's a poem I won't forget. And continues to inspire me. So happy you love it. 

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this! It has a cute, almost rebel feel to it. It's like your saying. "I am a teen and i do as i please". I like the picture. Here you are talking about weed and then we see pencils and its like little kid haha urged me laugh. This is cute. Keep rockin as always Mckay.

Thanks, Liv. It was inspired by a poem from Gwendolyn Brooks. Dunno if you've heard from her. If you haven't, she's amazing. "We Cool"; somthing like that. Anywho, I was kind of disappointed with this photo. Dunno why. Glad you enjoyed this rebellious yet sad piece from my olden days. Wow, it was so long ago since I wrote this. I've changed so much as a writer, haven't I? Hopefully for better.