If that's love, then I'm gone | Teen Ink

If that's love, then I'm gone

By No_Day_But_Today BRONZE, Batavia, New York
No_Day_But_Today BRONZE, Batavia, New York

Love is a word that is constantly heard, -Hate is a word that is not. -Love, I am told, is more precious than gold. -Love, I have read, is hot. -But Hate is the verb that to me is superb, -And Love but a drug on the mart. -Any kiddie in school can Love like a fool, -But Hating, my boy, is an Art.
Now I lay me down to study, -I pray the Lord I won't go nutty. -If I should fail to learn this junk, -I pray the Lord I will not flunk. -But if I do, don't pitty me at all, -Just lay my bones in the dorm hall. -Tell my prof I did my best, -Then pile my books upon my chest. -Now I lay me down to rest, -And pray I'll pass tomorrow's test. -If I should die before I wake, -That's one less test I'll have to take!

She sat listening to a song. It used to be just a song, but now she related to it in a way she never thought she would…
-You say love, is letting you do what you want
Even if the things you’re doing start to ruin how I’m feeling inside.-
Oh yes, she knew how that felt. He always said that she should let him to whatever because hey, didn’t she love him?
-You’re always out all night, then you try to tell me lies-
She knew about lies too. She knew about them oh so well. Every time he got drunk and rowdy and came back smelling like someone else… She’d heard all his stories now.
-Because you think that you can say three little words and I’ll be spending the night.-
And before it would work; a gentle touch, a whispered “I love you” and she couldn’t leave.
-You come around and you take and you take and you take-
He had taken so much, she strength, her confidence, her everything.
-You tear me down and I break and I break and I break-
She used to be so strong, she had a future planed out… Did she have any hope anymore?
-Then you tell me that you love me, baby, but is that what you call love?-
He had leaned over her and whispered “I love you” again, right after It and she lay there and sobbed. How was that love?
- If that’s love, I’m giving up, my heart can’t take it anymore.-
Her heart was mangled and weak, she was so tired now, drained. But at her weakest point she was the strongest.
-If that’s all, it’s not enough, you’ll watch me walk right out that door.-
That door, the same he had left her through after It happened. She couldn’t leave before but she could now.
-It’s like you said before, “it’s nothing personal,” then let’s be moving on-.
He had stopped before he left and looked at her, broken on the floor. “It’s nothing personal” he’d scolded as she cried. How it must have felt to hear his own words used against him.
-If that’s love, then I’m gone.-
He had used her.
He had lost her.
Now she’s gone.

In this I use the song "If that's love, then I'm gone" by Lucy Hale (her lyrics are marked) and I couldn't find a good way to give her credit an the actual thing so here is her credit.