The Horse of Resilience | Teen Ink

The Horse of Resilience

By NoLover22 BRONZE, Clyde, New York
NoLover22 BRONZE, Clyde, New York

If you're born without wings, do everything you can to grow some. (Coco Chanel)

Somewhere out in the distance,
A horse is in need of some assistance.
The horse has been abused and hurt,
People have treated it like dirt.
It has always dreamed of a better life,
One with nothing such as strife.
The horse has always wanted love,
As strong as the heavens above.
Its beauty has always been intense,
Like a yearling that can jump a fence.
The horse has moved to many places,
It has seen so many old faces.
The horse has been down many roads,
Carrying with it so many loads.
Even though it has been the same,
Never has the horse gone lame.
The horse has always put up with the fight,
Always remembering to do what is right.
Even with all the years that has gone,
The horse of resilience will remain strong.

I happened to have written this poem after writing "A Soldier's Deep Agony," as this was another of those poems I wrote where it was in my head for a temporary period of time, but I had to find the right period of time to do so and the right words. It came on August 15, 2010 when I finished the poem at 10:54 PM. To me, this poem kind of has two meanings- of course, there's the horse who has seen better days and has been so hurt badly over the years it has lived, yet it keeps on going with life, always persevering and never giving up on the belief that better days are sure to come. Then I feel there's another meaning to what I wrote, and that is the horse is a symbol for the average person who struggles through everyday life, always weighed down by life's challenges and burdens, it feels very much stifling at times. They are humble and repressed by the conflict and abuse they must go through, as they feel life won't ever get any better, but then they know they must keep going on, and somehow, the belief that there's a bright future never dies to the point that we can't just wither, but we must fight for what we love and do what is right. That is what the poem about. I feel I have many personal struggles myself as a teenager during this period of time we're living in right now, but I feel I must go on and continue with life, for somehow, I know things will get better. I think we all believe that, as I feel somehow, we don't want to put up with life's conflicts and limits forever, do we? That is what I hope people will get out of this poem, for somehow, we all are horses of resilience, looking ahead and never looking back, only hoping the road called life will progress from there.