The Meaning of Love? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The beating of my broken heart, now chained and locked away,
I hear much louder, through the night, than words we never say.
As hollow kisses turn to dust and fall against my skin,
I pray that I might find the strength to fall in love again.
Abandoned innocence, stripped away, discarded on the floor.
In the dirt, I bury hope that love leaves unlocked doors.
I am held, though never cherished, yet to be made whole.
My tears can wipe themselves away, but I must save my soul.
Bare feet, run, lead me home, where I am Mother’s child,
And toward the pale rose sunset for a pretty little while.
If broken wings may carry dreams, and carry me to sleep,
Take me far away from love and tell me what it means.

AndThisIsReal said...
Slightly cliche, especially the first line. But you made up for it completely in the last few lines. Overall I have to say I really liked your poem, It's obvious the meaning is deep and very true. Poetry is passion, as it should be. Keep up the good work.

loveisneverjealous* said...
Jan. 5, 2009 at 1:53 am
I thought it was really great, I thought I was looking ito your soul when reading this. Listening to the pain and suffrage come alive on the screen...it was inspiring, really! =)

sarahw said...
i love this poem because it is completely amazing :) it also expresses a lot of things i know i have felt, and it expresses them eloqunetly. the rhyming also didnt seem forced. in summary: awesome. keep writing :)

CABhahahaHPhahaTL said...
Jan. 3, 2009 at 4:46 am
This poem is great, but you most likely allready know that, so ill tell you that it makes me want to cry over my relentless broken heart of four years. Tell me if you find a cure:)

*TheAuthor* said...
Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:32 am
Oh, and also...The line that reads 'If broken wings may carry dreams and carry me to sleep' I'm afraid I made a complete typo!!! It should say 'If broken wings may carry dreams and CRADLE me to sleep'! It's driving me crazy that I wrote the word 'carry' twice in the same line.lol. I would love for the editor to correct that before publishing!

*TheAuthor* said...
Jan. 1, 2009 at 4:02 am
Wow! I really appreciate the comments; they mean so much to me. Sharing my writing with others has been a great experience, thanks to you. It's great to know that other people can relate to me on such a personal level! You have made my day!!!

BeauTifuL_disaSteR866 said...
Dec. 27, 2008 at 2:48 am
this is absolutley amazing,Kiana. You have such passion and meanign in your writing that let's any reader feel as if you yourself are reading them the poem. It allows us to swim deeper into your soul. thank yuo for sharing your fabulous talent.

*youclickedyourheelsandwishedforme* said...
i adore this. it's so well written and really captures heartbreak. i feel like i'm reading the emotions of the past two weeks. great job!

musicgirlz13 said...
I personally love this poem. I love writing poems and songs and have for awhile. This is the best i've read in a long time!