The Meaning of Love? | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Love? MAG

November 8, 2008
By Kiana Baker GOLD, Alto, Texas
Kiana Baker GOLD, Alto, Texas
12 articles 0 photos 2 comments

The beating of my broken heart, now chained and locked away,
I hear much louder, through the night, than words we never say.
As hollow kisses turn to dust and fall against my skin,
I pray that I might find the strength to fall in love again.
Abandoned innocence, stripped away, discarded on the floor.
In the dirt, I bury hope that love leaves unlocked doors.
I am held, though never cherished, yet to be made whole.
My tears can wipe themselves away, but I must save my soul.
Bare feet, run, lead me home, where I am Mother’s child,
And toward the pale rose sunset for a pretty little while.
If broken wings may carry dreams, and carry me to sleep,
Take me far away from love and tell me what it means.


The author's comments:
Writing is my passion … I hope you enjoy my poem!

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 832 comments.


on Jan. 13 2010 at 2:17 pm
pyropoet DIAMOND, Zimmerman, Minnesota
71 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
You are NEVER alone in your troubles - there is someone who is always willing to lend a hand or a shoulder to you.
-L. Kimpton

i have to agree with bigcaptain23 - this IS a VERY powerful and meaningful poem. on a personal note, i myself have gone through what you have described in this poem and i have just come to know God and now i know i will never have to know what it feels to be lonely or to have my heart break again, thanks to Him.

Keep it up - you have an incredible future in this field, i know you do. :)

bigcaptain23 said...
on Jan. 11 2010 at 8:23 am
I think that this is a very powerful poem. it shows that love is not always the easiest thing to find and as many are searching for it, many are crushed by it. I liked the idea of prayer in the poem because when you think you'll never find love, God is always there.

adricor BRONZE said...
on Jan. 8 2010 at 9:26 pm
adricor BRONZE, San Juan, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This poem is amazing! I love it !!!

on Jan. 3 2010 at 4:50 pm
Lollipop2012 SILVER, Las Veags, Nevada
5 articles 0 photos 27 comments
This is a great and amazing poem!!! I can relate and don't worry things will get better :)

on Dec. 27 2009 at 6:18 pm
kristabel BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 8 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To accomplish great things you must not only act but also dream. Not only plan but also believe."
also
"Life is like a photograph; we use the negatives to develop"

wow that was amazing! ive never read a poem that so closely resembles my own situation in life. you're a great writer

on Dec. 25 2009 at 6:36 pm
9CatsPerLife101 PLATINUM, Fairfax, Virginia
20 articles 0 photos 96 comments
Nice :]

I'm assuming from your poem that limericks for teenink don't have to be strictly in a five-line AABBA form.

on Dec. 23 2009 at 10:12 pm
miz.pretty.yung.thang SILVER, Fortmill, South Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
The love that lasts the longest is the love that is never returned

i really love this poem.. it relates to me

on Dec. 23 2009 at 9:34 pm
QBlueButterfly BRONZE, New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"if you love something set it free
if it doesnt return, it was never meant to be.
if it does love it forever."

i really like this!!!! (: you inspire me. (:

on Dec. 23 2009 at 8:16 pm
ashleygurl BRONZE, Marshall, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
some say the world will end if fire, some say ice,from what i've tasted of desire, i hold with those who favor,but if i had to perish twice,from what i know of hate, ice is also great, and would suffice.






-Robert F.

i most likely relate to this poem in a way none of u wud expect. but this is beautiful...truly.

Leena2014 said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 6:30 pm
You are a mastermind, and that was absolutely touching<3

DEMON said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 5:27 pm
DEMON: He's a rebel, and he has that dangerous edge. He's elusive, and he's romantic. DEMON...He's a writer. Read "RAZED EXPECTATIONS" and sing that voice, that opinion of yours...

BREAKING TEEN INK'S RULES, BROUGHT BY READERS LIKE YOU.

DEMON said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 5:25 pm
EDWARD & BELLA...ROMEO & JULIET...JACK SPARROW & RUM... I give you "DARIAN & CLARA"...IF YOU HAVE EVER WANTED THAT MAGIC...LOVE...Would you be kind enough to voice your opinion about...

"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"

Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course, it's difficult to articulate emotions that I can't feel, but I find that irony is relatively simple to demonstrate. I inhaled the toxic vapors of the cigarette casually. Its sinister, black cancer couldn't cripple a seventeen-year-old boy with no lungs, let alone a heart.

I glanced in the direction of the horizon, and flinched. The sun was dying flamboyantly, casting its radiant colors across the sky. Its last waves of light caressed my cold, pale skin. I wanted to snarl rebelliously as I felt its warmth slide against me deviously.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

My muscles went rigid, and I had to focus madly on controlling my shaking hands. I would know that voice, that beautiful, disastrous voice, in the realms beyond that of Earth. I grated my teeth, reeling in the disturbing sensations that she unknowingly always aroused in me.

I cocked my body towards her arrogantly, and lifted my mouth into a crooked crescent moon. I felt my eyes flashing, but I worked vehemently to fixate an arctic, hard tone into the dark of my indigo irises.

“I find the sunset lifeless and meaningless, actually,” I countered flatly, and a beat too late.

She laughed merrily, and I struggled within myself as my mind and body became entranced by the beautiful movement of her laughter as the colors of the sun played about her.

“You amuse me, Darian. How can you have such a pessimistic view of the world? The sun will not be lifeless until it disappears beneath the horizon, and the night falls. It’ll rise tomorrow, though,” she said.

I dared not think of her name. I hated the way my soul-if I had a soul-thrilled when her voice lingered over my name. It reminded me of music. I had to close my mind defiantly as I thought of music. I wanted nothing that resembled passion.

“That’s an inane notion that foolish women entertain. You want poetry, and ridiculous vows of forever. You aren’t difficult to read. If you want that sunset to mean something, then you want unrequited love. It doesn’t work like that,” I growled unmercifully, angry at her for unleashing the flood of feelings upon me.

DEMON said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 5:24 pm
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" It continues...

Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.

“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.

I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confront me. Why she didn’t follow the laws of the superficial high school we both attended. Why she didn’t stay away from me, like everyone else.

“You’ll die from that smoking, Darian.” She glared at me. We’d had this argument a lot. I lifted my eyebrows, and turned away from her, signaling that the conversation was over.

She didn’t obey, and I sighed.

“You know, Dare, you could let yourself feel. You could understand it.” Her voice was soft, a whisper in the darkening air. She was air. My air.

I reviled the potency of the emotions I could feel pulsing through me. I ran a hand through my black hair nervously, my body skidding with strange, unfamiliar energy. I didn’t want to answer her. Why didn’t she leave?

I made a fatal mistake when I looked at her. Every nerve inside of me screamed, as though my body and internal organs were recharging hurriedly in the rare moment of my awakening.

I think I felt my heart beat hesitantly.

My voice seemed like that of a stranger. It had a rich, deep tone to it. It had color.

“Understand what?”

Something in my expression changed the way she was looking at me. It may have mirrored the arrangement of my own features. She became vulnerable in that instant.

“Kiss me.” She whispered brokenly.

Surprise jolted keenly through me. God, I wished I was numb again. Everything felt electric-too intense and too vivid. Emotions scattered across my being, a mutinous invasion of the raging war against myself. I was defenseless and an easy prey to her request. I breathed jaggedly, and there was a husky vibe to it. Want. I recognized it more clearly as it bloomed vibrantly through me.

And she was waiting. For me.

I destroyed the walls I had so warily built as I leaned towards her. She lifted a creamy hand and laid it tenderly against my cheek, the expectation making her bold. I moaned, and closed my eyes. My own hands loosened, and reached for her face greedily

Something hot-burning-ignited against my skin. I wrenched myself away, dazed by the unpleasant sensation. Had a spark traveled through our bodies? That’s when I noticed the cigarette kindling like a faint ember beside my marred hand. It had burnt me. The throbbing pain brought a wave of consciousness through me. Reality. And I stared at her face, inches from mine, and something clicked inside of me. Gears that began humming smoothly, like a tuned clock. I pulled back, and tossed her hand away like it stung. I grimaced as the vitals within me slowly resumed their state of nothingness, and shook my head to clear it of its nonsensical ideas.

She watched the change take possession of me, and tears began to collect in her eyes.

I found that I could care less.

I grinned at her, and mocked, “I taste of cigarettes, Clara.”

She got up shockingly to her feet, and backed away as if understanding for the first time what I was. Tears stained her nondescript face.

I smiled, that careful replication of a smile, and said acidly, “Did I humor your silly fantasies well?”

Her face crumpled entirely, and she pivoted away and ran sobbing from my scathing ridicule.

The sun died, and all was dark.

on Dec. 23 2009 at 5:23 pm
People have been RAVING about the elusive rebel who calls himself "DEMON" Indeed, could he be a part of that beautiful darkness to have allured so many girls into the world of his writing? DEMON composed the romance "RAZED EXPECTATIONS"...and faeries, witches, vampires, werewolves, elves and mortals alike have said...

"I would like to say that I have never been so entranced by a story as I was by this one. And I kind of sound like any idiot because for once I cannot find the words to describe how amazingly well written that was..."

""This was AMAZING! I loved it, it was so real, I feel like I was there, or like I was Clara. Keep it up!"

"So true and real."

"I really loved your story! It consists of great descriptions and I loved how you combined the metaphors with the inner feelings of your characters! I must say I wanted them to kiss so I felt disappointed a bit. Great job!"

"Liked it alot!"

"WOW! That was amazing!"

"Wow. I want more. Write. Now. Please? (:"

"That was AMAZING...so delicately put the way you enticed how he hated the way he felt about her and how he felt like perfection was so evil to him. It broke my heart when I read that. Why can't a guy just see what's right in front of him?...Thank you for writing that. It really was beautiful."

"This was absolutely stunning. I loved it..honestly I didn't want it to end. He sounds like my ex-boyfriend..so painfully complicated. If this was fiction on here you'd get 5 stars from me"

Brehlie SILVER said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 4:46 pm
Brehlie SILVER, Lafayette, Oregon
7 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Inside us all, patiently waiting, is a tiny little adventurous bird"

Loved this(:

Good job darlingg.

on Dec. 23 2009 at 3:27 pm
catherinee. BRONZE, Houston, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments
this is truly beautiful...i love it.

on Dec. 23 2009 at 1:59 pm
Brrrreeeeeeeeee SILVER, Kalmazoo, Michigan
6 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
when i say im a christan im not shouting that im strong,im whispering that im weak and need his strength.;your the best and nothing less!!

this poem is truely amazing!! and it is so deep it made me feel so many emotions!!

on Dec. 23 2009 at 1:26 pm
MeganAnne PLATINUM, Niskayuna, New York
24 articles 0 photos 157 comments

Favorite Quote:
All my life I've looked at words as if I were seeing them for the first time. ~Ernest Hemingway

I loved this! Amazing!

Ridelova101 said...
on Dec. 23 2009 at 10:57 am
Beautiful! Perfect! I loved this poem. I relate to it in a way.

on Dec. 23 2009 at 10:03 am
MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 148 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

I can totally relate to this...beautiful.