The Pine and the Willow Pond

The old, lone, pine,
Down by the willow pond,
Moaned and ached,
In the cold blown wind,
During the winter months.
Drawing its dark needles close,
Like a shaggy green coat,
As if to block out the loneliness.

The young, blush pine,
Down by the willow pond,
Sighed mournfully sweet,
In the gentle wind's whispers,
During the spring months.
Stretching it's branches wondrously to the sun,
Longing for the warm companionship.

The whippy, strong pine,
Down by the willow pond,
Burst with pride,
Emerald leaves swaying in the breeze,
During the summer months.
Standing proud and unashamed,
It never once felt lonely,
Or at least it could pretend.

The shaken, stooped pine,
Down by the willow pond,
Shivered and trembled,
In the back and forth gusts,
During the autumn months.
Realizing it was by itself,
Alone in a sea of willows,
The only pine down by the willow pond.

FallenoutofgraceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love how you pull and push and let us flow through your words like the seasons and loving the pines you make everyone want to reread it forever good job keep it up

Rolledthestone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:54 am
Huh, interesting. Kinda skimmed through it cuz I'm running out of time but liked the concept.

TheEpic95This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is moving. I love the flow, the consistancy and the feel. I was drawn along through the seasons, and by then end i was in love with that lonely pine. I love the human feel of the pine and, perhaps due to my warcry "mom! There are no pine trees!!!!" and the fact that loneliness is a relatable human emotion, i couldnt help but become absorbed. It more than adequatly shows the beauty of nature, and adds, i think, another demention through the use of personification. To me, even the bare trees ... (more »)

SecretFlame replied...
This comment meant a lot to me thank you so much :)

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this. The imagery, personification, repitiion here and there, the steady rythym, similes and metaphors—all of these carefully and masterfully instilled in one beautiful poem of longing and loneliness.

SecretFlame replied...
Thank you so much :)