The Old Car | Teen Ink

The Old Car

January 5, 2011
By Anonymous

The old car in the garage,
Began to see a mirage,
So it drove off a bridge,
Then got hit with a fridge,
And the driver said, "Bon voyage."

The author's comments:
I wrote this a long time ago and thought it was quite funny:)

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 15 comments.


Tony Leotta said...
on Oct. 19 2012 at 4:33 pm
Tony Leotta, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I like this very nonscensical poem. The humor is a bit dry, but it is certainly amusing. The poem gives me an odd desire to smile and chuckle. Maybe it is the fact the car's owner decided that driving it off of a cliff was not enough, so he dropped a fridge on it. Perhaps it is the poem's simpicity and light hearted writing style that produces this effect on me. Regardless, it is very enjoyable.

Vital_Critic said...
on Jan. 24 2011 at 5:24 pm
Vital_Critic, LA, California
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
Sandra Dolly is correct.

on Jan. 19 2011 at 10:16 pm

Vital_Critic, 

For the record, I have not the slightest idea who Anonymous from Salt Lake is, or who he/she may be. The title: "The Old Car" attracted my eyes as I was scanning through limericks, and I wanted only to boost Anonymous from Salt Lake's self esteem, and now you report me for it? With all due respect (which isn't much, might I add), Leave. Now. Nobody likes a Hater... 'nuff said.


on Jan. 19 2011 at 10:11 pm
My apologies, More_Vital_Critic, I meant to comment on a post from above, not yours. 

on Jan. 19 2011 at 1:12 pm
This poem is really funny. I really enjoyed it, it rhymed nicely

on Jan. 18 2011 at 11:00 pm
This particular poetic force of nature is the supreme epitome of artistic expression in the 21st century. I was particularly disturbed (but in a positive light) concerning the use of rampant death imagery, and the lovecraftian presence of the godlike, destroying refrigeration device.

on Jan. 18 2011 at 10:48 pm

OK, let me just say a few things. The first is, that while this poem is simplistic, it most definitely gets across the point--that not all teens have to be depressed about their stupid one week girl/boyfriends breaking their friggin hearts every text message they get. second, I love how this limerick was phrased--"So it drove off a bridge, and got hit with a fridge," Thank you! I couldn't have put my feelings better myself. I mean, you never know. What if, when you try to commit suicide because your daily girl/boyfriends broke up with you, you encounter a fridge that bumps you, so it temporarily distracts you from dieing? Wabaam! your life has just been saved.

Anonymous from Salt Lake City, UT, you have really, truly, and most honestly, just written the best Limerick that I have ever read...*sniff*


on Jan. 18 2011 at 10:34 pm
Sandra, while your feedback is partially appreciated it remains to be noted that you have completely missed the point. The poem is supposed to be simplistic, that is an aspect of it's sublime beauty which was included by the author in what is no doubt an intentional manner. It's rigid adherence to the classical limerick rhyme scheme is perhaps a satirical reflection of the mundane. That's the poem's point!
HOLY COW ARE YOU BLIND LADY? (just kidding yur awesum)
The poem begins with a description of a car. A simple car. but it escalates in an irrational manner to a completely nonsensical climax (getting hit by the fridge). Therefore the poem's primary theme is the escalation of the mundane to the whimsical. The poem is about growth, and it's message is only ENHANCED by it's simplicity because the poem itself is mundane! The skill of this writer is obviously tenfold that of any other author I have ever read on Teen Ink, because he or she alone is able to convey such a complex topic in so simple a format, in such a way that the format only serves to enhance.
To your skeptical nature, I say Bon Voyage. 

on Jan. 18 2011 at 10:28 pm
samiamnotyourmom BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
Excuse me, I accidentally said or not of. And there were a few grammatical errors that could've been fixed. PLease excuse them.

on Jan. 18 2011 at 10:26 pm
samiamnotyourmom BRONZE, Sandy, Utah
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
This poem really spoke to me.  I could visualize a car - excuse me, and old car - having hallucinations. I imagined a pink bridge, covered in purple sparkles. It was magical. Then I imagined a chrome refrigerator that spoke in foreign tongues, of words of wisdom once known to a wise man. The driver was extremely angelic, with soft, mahogany colored hair, with slight streaks of shimmering gold. His teal eyes glistened even in the light of the moon. And his voice was softer than a cat's meow, but as forceful as a trumpeting swan. This poem implements such visionary elements or gargantuan proportions, it just blows my mind. I can't believe that you are not as famous as that attractive young man with the perfect hair and the slightly feminine voice. A talent like yours should not be hidden. Show it to the universe!

Sandra Dolly said...
on Jan. 18 2011 at 10:12 pm
I don't agree. I thought this poem was very simplistic. There were no text to text connections

on Jan. 18 2011 at 9:19 pm

Vital_Critic,

Many, many successful poets and authors do not know that the "serious, better side of life" even exists. Yet here they are, world renowned poets and authors, famous and sure as hell successful. This poet could very well be the next big thing.

Hats off indeed.


on Jan. 18 2011 at 8:56 pm

Vital_Critic,

I hope the author does not take your comment seriously, indeed. Maybe the immaturity and stupidness of life is exactly what we should be writing about, instead of seeing all of these sad excuses of teens writing about their life ending break up with their boy/girlfriend. Also, your punctuation and capitalization is atrocious. Hats off to you, Anonymous from Salt Lake City. Wonderful poem!


on Jan. 18 2011 at 5:04 pm

Oh my gosh... this poem... it really touched me at my hearts center. 

The first line, I really could visualize a car in a garage, but not only a car, you described it beautifully with the word "old", and I could really see an old car in a garage. 

The third line, where you describe the car driving off a bridge really touched me. Because, I could make very concentrated text-to-text connections, as I compared line three to the scene in Inception where the car is falling in slow motion off the bridge into the water. 

The fifth line... I can't even begin to describe my profound love for this. At this moment, I am choking back sobs and blinking back tears of emotion. Just thinking of the powerful words inflicted upon my mind: "Bon Voyage"... makes me want to just hug the author of the poem. (Arms on the outside ;) )

 

I really felt the feelings you interpreted through this poem, and I got struck with huge tidal waves of deep, deep emotion... it really impacted me. 

I will remember this Limerick forever.

The Old Car is my inspiration. 


on Jan. 18 2011 at 4:52 pm
Hey, sorry about that last bit. I think the website messed it up. It's supposed to just be "Bon Voyage", with quotations around it.