The Old Car

By , Salt Lake City, UT
The old car in the garage,
Began to see a mirage,
So it drove off a bridge,
Then got hit with a fridge,
And the driver said, "Bon voyage."

Tony L. said...
I like this very nonscensical poem. The humor is a bit dry, but it is certainly amusing. The poem gives me an odd desire to smile and chuckle. Maybe it is the fact the car's owner decided that driving it off of a cliff was not enough, so he dropped a fridge on it. Perhaps it is the poem's simpicity and light hearted writing style that produces this effect on me. Regardless, it is very enjoyable.

alaskanpenguininfiji said...
This poem is really funny. I really enjoyed it, it rhymed nicely

i am the thorb said...
This particular poetic force of nature is the supreme epitome of artistic expression in the 21st century. I was particularly disturbed (but in a positive light) concerning the use of rampant death imagery, and the lovecraftian presence of the godlike, destroying refrigeration device.

samiamnotyourmon said...
Excuse me, I accidentally said or not of. And there were a few grammatical errors that could've been fixed. PLease excuse them.

More_Vital_Critic said...

Vital_Critic,

I hope the author does not take your comment seriously, indeed. Maybe the immaturity and stupidness of life is exactly what we should be writing about, instead of seeing all of these sad excuses of teens writing about their life ending break up with their boy/girlfriend. Also, your punctuation and capitalization is atrocious. Hats off to you, Anonymous from Salt Lake City. Wonderful poem!

PimptasticRainbow replied...
My apologies, More_Vital_Critic, I meant to comment on a post from above, not yours. 

PimptasticRainbow replied...

Vital_Critic, 

For the record, I have not the slightest idea who Anonymous from Salt Lake is, or who he/she may be. The title: "The Old Car" attracted my eyes as I was scanning through limericks, and I wanted only to boost Anonymous from Salt Lake's self esteem, and now you report me for it? With all due respect (which isn't much, might I add), Leave. Now. Nobody likes a Hater... 'nuff said.

More_Vital_Critic said...

Vital_Critic,

Very_Vital_Critic said...

Vital_Critic,

Many, many successful poets and authors do not know that the "serious, better side of life" even exists. Yet here they are, world renowned poets and authors, famous and sure as hell successful. This poet could very well be the next big thing.

Hats off indeed.

PimptasticRainbow said...

Oh my gosh... this poem... it really touched me at my hearts center. 

The first line, I really could visualize a car in a garage, but not only a car, you described it beautifully with the word "old", and I could really see an old car in a garage. 

The third line, where you describe the car driving off a bridge really touched me. Because, I could make very concentrated text-to-text connections, as I compared line three to the scene in Inception where the car is falling ... (more »)

Sandra Dolly replied...
I don't agree. I thought this poem was very simplistic. There were no text to text connections

Gurgle Mechanic replied...
Sandra, while your feedback is partially appreciated it remains to be noted that you have completely missed the point. The poem is supposed to be simplistic, that is an aspect of it's sublime beauty which was included by the author in what is no doubt an intentional manner. It's rigid adherence to the classical limerick rhyme scheme is perhaps a satirical reflection of the mundane. That's the poem's point!
HOLY COW ARE YOU BLIND LADY? (just kidding yur awesum)
The poem begins with... (more »)

the.old.car.ROCKS! replied...

OK, let me just say a few things. The first is, that while this poem is simplistic, it most definitely gets across the point--that not all teens have to be depressed about their stupid one week girl/boyfriends breaking their friggin hearts every text message they get. second, I love how this limerick was phrased--"So it drove off a bridge, and got hit with a fridge," Thank you! I couldn't have put my feelings better myself. I mean, you never know. What if, when you try to commit sui... (more »)

Vital_Critic replied...
Sandra Dolly is correct.

ThAuthorOfThisPoem said...
Hey, sorry about that last bit. I think the website messed it up. It's supposed to just be "Bon Voyage", with quotations around it.